Bait, Spot 'n' Stalk, or Hounds

I've spent the better part of 20 years hunting black bears in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. I've hunted them with all 3 methods and combinations of the 3. I was wondering what most bear chasers prefer and why. I don't want to start up any quarrels, just a good summary of why you hunt the way you do. I've settled on spot n stalk as my only method in the spirit of fair chase, but I have respect for all.

OP
B
I owned hounds for about 12 years. I used them in conjunction with baits to guide bear hunts all over Idaho for several different outfitters. It is definitely a very effective way to hunt if you can stand feeding and training a dozen or more dogs. Now that most western states have lost the right to use hounds, the hound hunting population in Idaho has exploded. Bait is effective in its own right as well, but I've never been one to sit for hours. The first spot n stalk hunt I participated in was in Southern Montana shortly after I sold my hounds, and I was hooked. I love the sound of good hounds working out a twisted, day old bear trail, but now I get much more enjoyment from spotting a bear at a mile or more and closing the distance to a hundred yards or less. Doesn't matter if I punch my tag.

I think most guys use the accidental method. Fill their bear tag hunting something else. Baited sites works but doesn't feel like a "fair chase" to me the way hounds and S&S do. Plus those bears eating rubbish tend to taste like it. S&S takes a lot of time and patience to pattern bears but is by far the most "earned" method IMHO. That said, following dogs in steep country will run ya into the ground. Not for the weak hearted. Can truly test your physical conditioning.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
Spot and stalk and still hunting. It's all I would use, but as it turns out it's the only legal methods in my state.

We do bait and spot and stalk. Bait is fun in the way that when you do see bears, it is up close. It is fun with the kids, and sets up a more controlled shot. We also do a LOT of spot and stalk, fun seeing different country and all the different animals. Just two different games. I would prefer just spot and stalk, by the middle of season it starts to feel like you are married to your bait sites, were spot and stalk you can take a week or two off or go to a completely different area. I don't know that I consider using my optics to spot bears miles away, and then using a rifle capable of 500yd+ shots with ease "fair chase". Its all fun though

x2 on the accidental method....we see several bears every spring while driving to get bait sites set up or just driving to get to walking or glassing areas.

Bar

Banned
We do bait and spot and stalk. Bait is fun in the way that when you do see bears, it is up close. It is fun with the kids, and sets up a more controlled shot. We also do a LOT of spot and stalk, fun seeing different country and all the different animals. Just two different games. I would prefer just spot and stalk, by the middle of season it starts to feel like you are married to your bait sites, were spot and stalk you can take a week or two off or go to a completely different area. I don't know that I consider using my optics to spot bears miles away, and then using a rifle capable of 500yd+ shots with ease "fair chase". Its all fun though

x2 on the accidental method....we see several bears every spring while driving to get bait sites set up or just driving to get to walking or glassing areas.

That wouldn't be spot and stalk. That's spot and shoot. Not my style either. I like to stalk in to 50yds or less. Still hunting is even better, because you don't know if a bear is there until you're on top of it. I like to still hunt where I know berry bushes are hoping a bear will be there. I'm usually right on top of it when I see one. Very exciting for an old coot like me. Especially, when using a muzzleloader. I have one shot to get it right.

OP
B
I know how you feel with the still hunting method. I love quietly walking game trails through huge patches of huckleberries knowing there's a bear there but also knowing my chances of seeing him and getting a clean shot are very slim. I seem to run into one more often than not, but rarely kill one this way.

Can't use bait or hounds in my unit. So I use a mix of walk around aimlessly looking dumb hoping for the best and sitting and glassing. Wondering around usually works best for me.

OP
B
"Spot and Stalk" is a fancy term for wandering around aimlessly using optics that you paid waaayyyy too much for and once in a while bumping into a suicidal bruin haha

Saylean

FNG
You didn't add Predator calling as an option! I love spot and stalk, but use predator calling much of the time, to save my legs.

desertcj

WKR
You didn't add Predator calling as an option! I love spot and stalk, but use predator calling much of the time, to save my legs.

I've tried calling before without any success. I've heard that your odds of success are drastically higher if you actually spot a bear before calling?

OP
B
Sorry to exclude calling! I've used a call to stop a bear that was moving so a client could get a shot, but I've never called in a bear by picking a spot to set up and calling it in. I know a guy that swears by it and harvests a bear or two annually so I see it as a viable method. I bet it'd work in the fall for a combo bear/wolf hunt in the right area. Hmmm, my interest is piqued.

Bar

Banned
Calling does work when conditions are right. It can get pretty exciting too. The big boars expect a meal to be at the call, so it's coming to eat you. :)

I've heard many times a hunter shouldn't call alone. They say the bear can sneak up behind the hunter. This makes no sense to me. If i'm sitting and calling the wind will be in my face and i'm looking in that direction for a bear to come to the call. If the bear circles around behind me it's going to catch my scent and be gone. I wouldn't try it with a grizz, but I feel safe a black bear won't keep coming once it catches my scent. I stay stinky on purpose.

Saylean

FNG
I will call when I see a bear if it is far off, try to have it close the distance, especially in thick stuff. But I will cold call (alone) all the time to see what is out there. I use a partner sometimes when someone tags along, but calling is definitely my favorite way to hunt bear.
[video=youtube;_kkwJFAMKzo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kkwJFAMKzo[/video]

For example....

I love listening to the dogs. I could follow dogs to a tree every day but I've never felt the urge to shoot one for myself like that. Really no opportunities for spot and stalk where I live but I suppose still hunting would work. Bait is probably the most effective here but sitting in a stand for hours is too much like deer hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk