More dead grizzlies...

BRWNBR

WKR
Had a 2x1 hunt on my baits again this week. Day two and day three worked out well. 17 hours apart, two more one shot kills. Both bears are 8'3" boars. Couple photos from the blind as well.
9b68210ae23e1471549981d50d4827f5.png
1dcff9d1f4a753b4c6ab825fc502bbc5.jpg
ab97f77434debf828b242d5b34d38a93.jpg
87a043ee903263917b16469e4793952a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdog

WKR
Jake - are you setting up on bears as they move to and from the baits vs directly over the baits?

Beautiful bears!

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
Way to go Jake! We got number 100 on Kodiak what does this bring you up to. Dean

Jake - are you setting up on bears as they move to and from the baits vs directly over the baits?

Beautiful bears!

We set our stands up 15 or so yards from the bait, sure makes for an exciting night in the stand! Here's the one I got in June, 12 yard shot or so.

attachment.php

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
We set up 90 yards off the bait. These grizz won't come in if we are any closer. We tried. But I'm also on the ground,
Contemplating a tree stand but that changes my business insurance. We pulled four griZ and one black bear off my one bait this June so I'm gonna say what I have going is working. Gonna stick with it.
Eyeguy im over 140 now!

Last edited:
OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Every area the grizzlies are a little different, grizz in black bear country are different than grizz without. Grizz in the timber aren't the same as grizz on the tundra, grizz on a salmon stream are different than grizz off a salmon stream. Western Alaska bears are different than PWS bears, wrangell mtns bears are different than ak peninsula bears, Kodiak bears are different than interior bears. Maybe not genetically, but behavior wise I'd vote that they do. (Opinion Based solely on my experiences alone.)
I also added that I'm on the ground. Implying that perhaps if I was in the air things would be different. Bottom line with those bears if they wind you, they won't come in. Maybe other areas the baited bears are more adapted to human scent, I'm not sure. At 70 yards this year we had a slight slight breeze that worked its way toward the bait, the bear ran back and forth looking for us and luckily stopped to look long enough to kill it.
I'd never say grizz ain't any different than each other. I'd say they are all different than each other lol
Master guide number one or two(?), Hal Waugh, was quoted as saying(near as I can recal) "the more I learn about brown bears the more I realize I don't know anything about brown bears."
After 20 years of guiding brown/grizz hunters I cannot argue with that.

Maverick940

Banned
Every area the grizzlies are a little different, grizz in black bear country are different than grizz without. Grizz in the timber aren't the same as grizz on the tundra, grizz on a salmon stream are different than grizz off a salmon stream. Western Alaska bears are different than PWS bears, wrangell mtns bears are different than ak peninsula bears, Kodiak bears are different than interior bears. Maybe not genetically, but behavior wise ........ Hal Waugh, was quoted as saying ..... "the more I learn about brown bears the more I realize I don't know anything about brown bears."

No kidding ......

Wind is the most important factor when getting them to come into a bait... whether you are on the ground (done that) or in a tree (done that too). Place your baits in an area where you'll have the wind advantage and they'll come in no matter how close you are to the bait. I shot mine in the same unit as yours came from. Just think, if you figure out how to get closer, you'd be able to take a few bowhunters :)

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
More bowhunters??! Ummmmm..... do you mean that as a good idea??! Lol
I've got zero consistent wind where my baits are at. Setting up farther out makes a better experience with clients anyway. We can talk and move around with out having to think we just blew the hunt.

Yeah, I understand, it's probably hard for your clients to sit still for hours on end, which is what they'd have to do if any closer than what you are at now. Best of luck this fall Jake.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Ya most guys show up jacked up and excited. Plopping them into a sit shut up senario would be tough lol and I'm ok without having to track more bow shot bears thru the brush. Had several bow hunters shoot bears and never found a dead bear at the end of a blood trail yet. Then there's the whole "don't shoot my bear!!" situation after they make a crappy shot that just became my responsibility. There's reasons a lot of outfitters won't take bow hunters anymore. Guiding makes those situations totally different.