California Bear

Ok guys, I'm not a bear guy at all. Hell I've never even had a tag, but I did spot this guy during an afternoon T-storm yesterday while looking for some early summertime bucks. It was pretty cool! My questions are, is it a good one? Is it technically a cinnamon? I really have no idea how to judge bears for size or sex either. Kinda makes me want to get a tag though.:D

Last edited:
OP
Muley Buck
I figured so, I haven't had the opportunity to look over many bears in the field. By that I mean real ones and not dumpster divers, which this one most definitely is not as there isn't a dumpster around for many miles. I believe this is the second one I have glassed up in about 8 years. I will say, as I was watching it in real time it looked really big to me. It was a gorgeous animal for sure.

That is a really nice bear. The coat is really nice, no spots, the color is gorgeous as well. Looks to be stout as well, thick through the shoulders and rear. If that doesn't make you want to get a bear tag nothing will....

You may want to consider the work involved in harvesting that bear, based on just how far you will need to pack it out. Breaking down a bear is much more difficult than a deer, and much more time consuming. Assuming that you will want to mount it or make a rug, since you have not harvested a bear, you may want to brush up on cape-ing methods, so you end up with a finished product worthy of the animal.

What I mean is that you have a trophy class animal in all respects, based on what I've seen in the picture. I'd estimate that bear is 350# PLUS. For a truly wild bear, that is fattening up on natural foods in the environment, it's a large bear. I'd like to see some more pictures, with something in the pic that provides size perspective. But my point here, is that you will need to make several trips to get this animal packed out. Additionally, you will need to pack out the head and have a tooth pulled. That head and hide (assuming your going to do a full rug) will go 100 pounds, give of take. So that alone is one trip. It's going to be a ton of work, but in my opinion, well work it, after it's all done.

Best of luck!

Bears can be so hard to judge...funny how different angles affect how the bear can look size/sex wise. Shot a bear that looked just like that a couple years ago, I thought it was a 350+ bear at 100 yards, didn't take the time to scale it to anything, ended up being a little over 200lbs. Just short and stalky. Was 5'2' nose to tail. Nice bear regardless. Usually if I can prove to myself that it is a boar and decent sized, its on.

OP
Muley Buck
You may want to consider the work involved in harvesting that bear, based on just how far you will need to pack it out. Breaking down a bear is much more difficult than a deer, and much more time consuming. Assuming that you will want to mount it or make a rug, since you have not harvested a bear, you may want to brush up on cape-ing methods, so you end up with a finished product worthy of the animal.

What I mean is that you have a trophy class animal in all respects, based on what I've seen in the picture. I'd estimate that bear is 350# PLUS. For a truly wild bear, that is fattening up on natural foods in the environment, it's a large bear. I'd like to see some more pictures, with something in the pic that provides size perspective. But my point here, is that you will need to make several trips to get this animal packed out. Additionally, you will need to pack out the head and have a tooth pulled. That head and hide (assuming your going to do a full rug) will go 100 pounds, give of take. So that alone is one trip. It's going to be a ton of work, but in my opinion, well work it, after it's all done.

Best of luck!

Honestly, I have considered the work involved on this one. I don't care what you are after, it's always harder than what you think. As I have stated before, I never have done the bear thing but I would most definitely take my time with the knife. I'm am what some people would say to be a little bit anal at times, so yeah I wouldn't dream of destroying a trophy like that without learning as much as I can in order to do it properly. The only reason I would like to do this is the fact that the quality, size and color is almost too good to pass up. No doubt it will take at minimum 2 trips, more like 3. Or 3 guys, but that's probably not gonna happen. If I was to point where, most people would look at me sideways and say "No way, good luck!" I initially spotted it (a big brown blob) with my naked eye about 2000+ yards away making its way through that green meadow. I then quickly pulled the binos off the tripod and slapped on the spotter with the phone skope. I have a couple videos of it but I can't get them to upload on here, yet. I'll try and get them up here soon. I ended up watching it feed and mill around a bit for about 15min or so.

topher89

WKR
That is a great bear.

Steve Rinella's Guidebooks have some great information. I am always amazed when I see bears and used to always think it was the "big one" THe book has a great infographic about the differences between young bears and big bears

OP
Muley Buck
That is a great bear.

Steve Rinella's Guidebooks have some great information. I am always amazed when I see bears and used to always think it was the "big one" THe book has a great infographic about the differences between young bears and big bears

I have been thinking about getting those books. I know there has to be a wealth of information in there. Good idea, thank you.👍

In the first two pics the bear looks big, but the other ones show a pointed snout and prominent ears. With it being spring and bears not carrying much fat, I think the bear is young making it look rounder. Now with that, I'm wrong rather often and a solo bear is the hardest thing to judge in the mountains.

OP
Muley Buck
In the first two pics the bear looks big, but the other ones show a pointed snout and prominent ears. With it being spring and bears not carrying much fat, I think the bear is young making it look rounder. Now with that, I'm wrong rather often and a solo bear is the hardest thing to judge in the mountains.

Man, I wish i could get the video up. I think the pics don't do it justice, the video shows it pretty good. It doesn't walk/step easy. It's got some swagger to it's walk. Big steps, shifting weight.