Sons first out of state hunt.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
My now 9 year old son and I are planning an out of state black bear hunt that will take place when he's 13 I am always drawn to a spot and stalk hunt in the Rockies probably Montana. On the flip side a guided bait hunt in Maine would probably offer a better chance for success. I do have a good friend in the Columbia falls area. And he's had success with bears in the past. What do you guys think?

KJH

WKR
If you'll consider a "guide" I'd look at Canada... For example, Manitoba is virtually unhunted in places you can drive to. You have to have an outfitter/guide, but you get the tags through them and most will be as hands off as you like. You can fish as much as you like and should see plenty of bears. I like to take kids to hunt over bait since the success is much higher (IMO). If you get a outfitter/guide they will have many baits already going with trail cameras so you can chose what bait you want to sit on. They will usually have stands within 20-30 yards ready to go. Easy and safe. Surely not a spot and stalk hunt, but for a kid its a great experience and unlikely that they will get skunked. I'm not saying its a guaranteed shot opportunity, but its darn close.

I'm not sure about Ontario nowadays, but that might be a great option as well.

For bears and young hunters, over bait sets up controlled circumstances that help with good shot placement. Also gives time to practice shot placement on the bear for awhile and to get settled down/comfortable for the shot.

Spot and stalk..especially where your friend lives could be a blast also.