Bear & Elk

What advice do you have for going after bear and elk? I have an antlerless elk ML tag and a bear rifle tag for the White River/ Flat tops area. I am thinking of focusing on the elk first, but using a calf distress call which could attract both.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I would shoot your elk first, and then come back in and sit on the carcass for the bear. You could even use your ML for both.

What he said. Just don't move the carcass or they'll try to say you are sitting on bait. Just leave it where it dropped and you processed it.

WKR
Sit an elk wallow or watering hole and either could show up. But yes, if you drop a cow first, your bear odds are going to go way up.

Saylean

FNG
Use a calf call while you are walking to help cover your sound, you might call in a cow, or a bear. I have done both many times doing this. Good luck!

Vids

WKR
Good advice above. Shoot an elk, then hunt over the carcass. Also be prepared for a bear to answer your cow/calf calls.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Bear season opens a week after archery, but a week before ML. I was thinking about going to scout elk during the bear opener. What are some of your thoughts on following carrion birds to someone else's archery elk carcass? Would that be unethical, gray area, or clever hunting?

danarnold

WKR
They can't resist the carcass. Last year in Colorado I came across this carcass and my friend had a bear tag, this is what he saw most of the time.
8a633d0a05525ef09cddba1e17fdd6c5.png

Saylean

FNG
If I see birds around an area, I will check it out usually. Simply for the fact that something is there, could be a cougar kill, could be a gut pile, who knows what. And, something might be hanging around eating off it too. I might not walk right up to it, but I would glass it or the area for sure, but that is just me.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
Thank you for all the advice. Went up last night to scout elk spots. I only saw one bear. It ran across the road and up the hill as I was driving out tonight. At least I know I'll be in a good area when we come back this weekend.

cnelk

WKR
This is me on my trail cam packing out the first trip of meat from my cow

The second pic is of the bear 3 days later.
It had the elk carcass absolutely gone in 5 days

2FwGhkN.jpg

oGN7soq.jpg