B.C. Grizzly Hunt No More

tater

WKR
So, looks like the fall 2017 hunt is the last hurrah for grizzly hunting in B.C.

We knew once the NDP got in that the days were numbered.

dotman

WKR
Can you not take the skull, hide or claws out, only meat?

“When you take that meat out of the forest, you’re not taking the head, you’re not taking the claws, and you’re not taking the pelt,” Horgan said.

ljalberta

WKR
Can you not take the skull, hide or claws out, only meat?

“When you take that meat out of the forest, you’re not taking the head, you’re not taking the claws, and you’re not taking the pelt,” Horgan said.

Sounds like that's what they're aiming for. Still hoping this insanity regarding the pelts and skulls gets dropped before the official policy gets rolled out. Overall I'm not surprised by the move, but still hard to fathom how much people have abandoned scientific, evidence-based policy making in the name of feelings.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like that's what they're aiming for. Still hoping this insanity regarding the pelts and skulls gets dropped before the official policy gets rolled out. Overall I'm not surprised by the move, but still hard to fathom how much people have abandoned scientific, evidence-based policy making in the name of feelings.

Hell yeah brother. I'm a bc boy and I know we have plenty of G bears.

AXEL

WKR
After, years of intense lobbying by often foreign "experts" on G Bears and other aspects of BC environmental issues, the now urbanized population here in BC, is convinced that these bears are in danger of immediate extinction and are "iconic" organisms, whatever the H*LL that means.....

Sooooo, the public opinion here is that this hunt should be banned and "trophy hunting", especially by foreigners and Canadian "non-residents" is next. BC game populations are in serious decline, largely due to historically high predator populations and unrestricted slaughter by aborigines, due to recent Supreme Court of Canada, interpretations of a section of Canada's Constitution Act, itself a pathetic document.

After decades of advocacy and working involvement in BC environment management agencies, I expect to see much more restriction on even we taxpaying citizens use of OUR resources to mollify the increasingly aggressive aboriginal groups and further bans of this type.

There are FAR more Grizzlies now than 50 years ago, but, the media only listens to the urban "experts" and foreign groups such as The Sierra Club.

"The times they are achangin'", eh...............

Last edited:

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
dang shame to read this,,,,,only hunted BC officially once,,,for black bear in 2007 or so east/north east of Prince George,,,,,,enjoyed the trip,,,seen a griz and a lot of black bear,,,,,

did a winter warfare exercise around the North Star area in the northern Okonogan plateau back in the early 90s,,,,,,,,

I like BC,,,,will be a shame if I never get to hunt there again if all this comes true,,,,

good luck,,,,,

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Last time the NDP were in they had BC headed in a downward spiral. Looks like this NDP government intends to do the same.

Last time the NDP closed the grizz hunt the Liberals opened it up when they got back into power.....hopefully history repeats itself.

AXEL

WKR
Look at Christy's sudden reversal of her longterm policies and adoption of essentially NDP policies in her final election speeches and as she tried to hold onto power..........typical of ALL BC politicos and NOT very encouraging in respect of support for any aspect of sports hunting or genuine management, IMHO.

Most people, even former hunting buddies of mine, whom I discuss this issue with are opposed to killing Grizzlies and the phony "enviromentalists" are and will continue to use this to advance their money-grubbing BS agenda. That !!@$%## Joe Foy, of the vile WWC, is on TV at the moment spewing his distorted version of *management* and they have the media behind them...........

Sooooo, I tend to expect a future administration will keep or even strengthen this ban.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine has a fall tag - hopefully he gets one! I'm going to try to get out with him sometime in Sept......pressure is on!

tuffcity

WKR
sadly its not the science based approach to wild life management but a vote based one. A direct quote from the guy who's politically in charge of wildlife in BC:

"It is time," said Natural Resources Minister Doug Donaldson on Monday.

About 250 grizzlies are killed annually by hunters in B.C., a number Donaldson said is "sustainable" for the population estimated at 15,000 bears, but he said public opinion on the practice has turned.

"It's not a matter of numbers, it's a matter of society has come to the point in B.C. where they are no longer in favour of the grizzly bear trophy hunt."

Hopefully that coalition gov't implodes sooner rather than later.

RC

- guess I moved out of the province at the right time.

ytlogger

FNG
sadly its not the science based approach to wild life management but a vote based one. A direct quote from the guy who's politically in charge of wildlife in BC:

Hopefully that coalition gov't implodes sooner rather than later.

RC

- guess I moved out of the province at the right time.

Don't get to thinking you're out of the woods just yet... did you respond to that phony survey?

AXEL

WKR
I see that the loathsome "Raincoast Conservation Society", rabid antis and grant seeking parasites, have just announced they are demanding a ban on hunting Black Bears.........Chris Genovali, and his phony gang of misfits.

Well, it is time that this whole battle came to a head and these groups were eliminated from BC society!

I have zero idea about this so some education would be great. Did this come about because guys were leaving the meat and only taking head and hide? if you take the meat can you bring out the head and hide? or is it strictly going to be meat out only? To me it seems wasteful to leave anything behind

OP
T

tater

WKR
I have zero idea about this so some education would be great. Did this come about because guys were leaving the meat and only taking head and hide? if you take the meat can you bring out the head and hide? or is it strictly going to be meat out only? To me it seems wasteful to leave anything behind

This has been brewing for a few years. There has never been a requirement to salvage meat from grizzly bears (there is for black bears though), and this was then seen as a "trophy hunt" in it's "purest sense" by advocates for it's closure. Public pressure has been mounting for years to close the hunt, or to amend the policy.

The NDP/Green coalition government both had full closure of the season in it's entirety as the platform promise, but this restructuring to "must take meat/must leave head-hide-paws" is seen as a way to placate the rural constituents in the province (who overwhelmingly voted against both of those parties in the election and actually live with grizzly bears). This does effectively kill the commercial guided hunt industry for grizzlies though.

The last reasonably balanced poll showed that ninety percent of BC residents support hunting for food, but do not agree with the taking of an animal for it's ancillary (trophy) parts only. This once again illustrates that our hunting will either be saved or destroyed by the opinion of us and our pastime by the non-hunting majority, not the anti-hunting minority as we have been taught to fear.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Until the hunting community unifies in some form of cohesive way, especially in Canada, the voices of anti hunting groups will far outweigh our own, many of these groups have been together for decades and are almost masterful at promoting their agenda. As hunters we are an ever increasing minority and need to get smart sooner rather than later or else I am sure we will start to see even more pressure from anti groups.

I live in BC, in a corner of the province riddled with G-bears and most people I have taken the time to talk with about it are still confused with the whole deal. As far as broader hunting is concerned, I guarantee black bear hunting with hounds will be next, probably then the pressure will turn to the spring season.

There are so many well funded Groups in the states - RMEF, Boone and Crocket club, AHSA etc etc We are pretty sparse in comparison in BC and the rest of Canada from what I can tell. We need to start getting together opening our wallets as well as our mouths.

"the NDP is not proposing an all-out ban on hunting grizzlies; they’ll still allow hunters to kill if they plan on using the bear for food."

B.C. NDP plan to ban grizzly bear trophy hunt | Globalnews.ca

Sounds like much ado over nothing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
This was never much ado over nothing. Even in the beginning when they were going to allow the hunt, you weren't allowed to keep the head, hide or claws. This has now escalated to a complete closure of the hunt. The NDP's plan all along. Pay attention folks, this is coming to your hunting area as well. The anti hunting crowd is growing and it's getting louder and more effective. There are alot of bears in BC, this hunt was cancelled based on emotion and political climate nothing else.