Fall Bear Locations

I've only intentionally hunted bear spot and stalk in the spring. I know bear aren't in the new grass areas and avalanche chutes as much in the fall. Where do you see them? How do you hunt them in the fall?

My sense is that they are more in the creek bottoms and berry patches. Is glassing them up still reasonably possible?

Thanks.

In my area (western slope of CO) they tend to hang in the cooler wet valleys with chokecherries and other wild berries or in dense oakbrush thickets in the heat of the day. The nearby hillside area that was logged 15 years ago is pretty thick with native berry shrubs and small trees. I often spot them mornings and evenings from a hillside about 1,000 yards while glassing for elk (ML). When in the logged areas they alternate between stripping the brush for berries and flipping rotten logs for grubs and bugs. Old fire scars also usually have similar shrubs and logs also.

Blessings and good luck - Chas.

This year is different because of that June freeze we had that zapped the oakbrush and chokecherries. They are scrounging wherever they can especially in town

Saw one yesterday in Western CO around 8000 ft in the oakbrush. A lot of the areas I scouted had berries, but not acorns.