Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sw Colorado bear update

Heading out to sw Colorado next week for bear and elk. Was wondering what y'all were finding in the area for bears. I hear a late frost in May may have wiped out the acorns. Where will the bears be if not in oakbrush? What are u elk hunters seeing and hearing?

Post Thanks / Like
    The hard June frost did seem to knock back both the hard and soft mast quite a bit in middle elevations. No acorns. Very little fruit. Been seeing bears maybe higher than typical and wildlife officers and biologist also suggest lower elevations too. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Carbonaero. I have a unit 61 bear tag and was out there a little this weekend. Zero acorns and just a few berries, mainly mtn snowberries. They seem to be pretty scattered right now high and low as they are searching for what little food is out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the plateau south of Junction, kill your elk first then hunt over the carcass…
    Almost no acorns at all very few berries.

Post Thanks / Like
    I watched one take a dip in some water I was sitting on. Had seen a bull and a cinnamon phase bear at the same tan the night before and killed a bull shortly a few hours after taking this photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a bear last week around 8500 ft in the oaks. The area was LOADED with bear sign. The scat had some sort of seeds in it but I didnt investigate to closely because im not holding a tag.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been seeing a TON of bear sign at 11k in SW Colorado. Saw a nice bear Friday and yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are high eating berries. I saw massive amount of sign in a wildfire area in the weminuche. One destroyed our spike camp a few days ago when we left for supplies. In a different area today and called a chocolate boar into 50 yards before the wind shifted and he smelled me. What a rush as he charged in only to lock em up and turn and leave as the wind shifted.