Alaskan grizzly died.

BRWNBR

WKR
Not much for dead bear pictures so I figured I'd add one on here. My client may write up something but it'll probably be in the sheep forums since he took this grizzly on his sheep hunt. Saw five grizzlies in the couple days it wasn't raining. Dropped this one one evening about a hundred yards off my usual camp sight. But we had dropped out gear several hundred yards back and quickly decided to fill a grizzly tag. A 240 yard shot or so and this bear just piled up. Normal 7' grizzly with fantastic hair!
16a0cb66d4c2c5b77c3ff16a0533ace5.png
af2a33e0e3f65f8f701b52b876f7ef0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
You always seem so laid back about dumping bears haha! That's a beauty, love the color!

Oh and what the heck? The guide is wearing camouflage and not the hunter?!?!?

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
Camo clothes with guide discounts/left overs from clients are cheaper!!!!

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
Great work!

Just curious as to how it works though. Did the sheep hunt end or did he purchase a grizzly tag just in case and have both?

One of these days I'll have enough money saved up to come hunt with you :)

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
He booked it as a combo hunt. So we were looking for both.

Bear talley is somewhere north of 150 now.

OP
B

BRWNBR

WKR
It's almost to much stuff to deal with. Lol we were only two miles from a pick up lake and shot the sheep while we waited for the plane to get the bear out. All worked out very nicely.

Wapiti1

WKR
I know those guys. Actually, I am the hunter. I too found it odd that Jake was decked out in various camo patterns and brands, and I was clad in mostly solids. Neither of us have any brand loyalty, though. It doesn't matter what camo you wear in the tundra, there is nothing to hide behind. Not moving when they are looking is about the only strategy you are going to get.

It was a super hunt. We saw all the different weather, and the couple of days the sun peeked out, the bears followed. 2 adults and 1 cub the day before, one this morning at the previous camp and then this one. This bear was a gift in terms of where she was. We had left the last camp site, and were moving up the valley to check out a connecting valley from the north. As we rounded the mountain at that valley entrance, we noted a bright purple pile of bear scat. Even I was able to tell it was from this fall, but Jake's eagle eye noted green leaves in it, so it was pretty fresh. He is going to put these little details in his book one day. And one client he had remarked that he would be looking forward to coloring in it when it comes out. Wish I would have thought of that quip.

About half mile further we topped a small rise, and there is our bear a mile or so up the valley on our side of the creek. We plodded on since she was busy munching berries and searching for squirrels. About half way to her, we stopped at a likely looking camp location, and dropped the packs. She was actually at the spot we wanted to camp. Now it was up to me to shoot or pass. After mulling it over for a couple of minutes, I told Jake we should go kill a bear. This might be the only one I kill, so I wanted to be sure I would be happy with it, hence the thinking, which hurt, but was necessary. No question, I am happy. Anyway, we grabbed the essentials, and started after her.

She had crossed the creek and was now on what would be the right side as we approached. Where she was there is a small bowl and a rise between us and her for most of our stalk. We scurried over the creek rocks, and made a beeline for her position. About 400 yards out, cover became non-existant. So, when she would turn away, we would shuffle closer with the goal being a big mound of tundra moss. She was intent on uprooting the local squirrel population and noticing us was not happening. Once we made the mound, I got in position, and we waited for a broadside shot. It came, and I put one just in front of the shoulders into the neck. Not exactly where I was aiming, but it was quite effective and she didn't move again.

After a couple of minutes watching, we made out approach, and I was able to claim my bear. Super hair on her and long claws. What really sealed the deal is her coloring. The blonde tips are better in person. I couldn't be happier with how it all worked out. Two days later, I took my sheep, but that is another story for another section of the forum. I'll post a few more photos when I get a chance.

Jeremy Cotton