Repeat sightings?

skierhs

WKR
I was glassing today in central colorado and spotted a beatiful dark black boar. By the time i was able to close the distance he was gone. My question is how likely is it to see him there again tomorrow around the same time in the afternoon? He was eating berries/grass it apeared and was just grazing up the valley into the dense brush. Fortenetly my bear tag goes about a week longer then my archery mule deer/elk tags goes.

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for the advice, i dont think he really ever cared or knew i was 500 yards or so away. the entiretime he just grazed at his own pace till out of sight.

willidru

WKR
Let me know if you see him again, I had a similar question about being able to pattern bears. I hunted California Black Bear for the first time this weekend. Found a really nice bear but lost him into the timber.

I've never seen the same bear in the same place twice. I always kill them when I see them. I have however seen different bears in the same spots before. It seems a lot of the bears especially in Colorado eat their way through multiple places in a day and just keep traveling

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
Update: I saw 5 bears in three days. one i had seen in the same spot (within 200 yards) multiple times in two weeks. The bear in question i was not able to get back to the spot so i will be going up this weekend to see if i can close the deal.

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished a week long CA bear hunt. My buddy got a nice boar. We covered the same ground several times for three days before he shot the boar around 330pm. The scat and tracks in that particular berry patch was most likely from the boar he shot. From that experience I don't think they will spook from your scent as long as the food source is high value. Also the bears didn't come out at all while it rained for two days. The day after the light rain we had we saw fresh tracks and scat. This may not hold true all year or even other parts of the country. Also bumped a small bear around 330pm feeding another berry patch. We hunted during the rainy days also and pretty much memorized all the scat/tracks in the area we were in. Also learned that rain sours the berries and bears in the area were switching back to grass until the acorns fell. The boar had berry scat followed by grass in his gut pile.

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
Today I saw a new bear, it was dragging a cow elk carcas off through a slide path. I closed the distance and took a shot. The bear rolled over sevral times and took off. I gave it 30 minutes to not preasure the bear and hope that it would avoid going into some hell hole. We get to where the bear was shot and see some blood and tracks in the snow. We followed these tracks over sevral miles in the following 5 hours. We found the last set of tracks/sign we could find. The bear was bleeding on and off but not enough to follow that way. The bear went through sevral slide paths into what my map is showing is roughly 80 acres of forest. Any advice? Im self taught and this is my third year hunting. Im afraid i hit it in the liver so that is likely why it has gone on such a trek. We were forced off the mountain due to a storm(snow) and light, i will be going back alone tomorrow to try to find the bear.

John Kimble

Lil-Rokslider
Today I saw a new bear, it was dragging a cow elk carcas off through a slide path. I closed the distance and took a shot. The bear rolled over sevral times and took off. I gave it 30 minutes to not preasure the bear and hope that it would avoid going into some hell hole. We get to where the bear was shot and see some blood and tracks in the snow. We followed these tracks over sevral miles in the following 5 hours. We found the last set of tracks/sign we could find. The bear was bleeding on and off but not enough to follow that way. The bear went through sevral slide paths into what my map is showing is roughly 80 acres of forest. Any advice? Im self taught and this is my third year hunting. Im afraid i hit it in the liver so that is likely why it has gone on such a trek. We were forced off the mountain due to a storm(snow) and light, i will be going back alone tomorrow to try to find the bear.
I lost one last year the exact same way only it was 90 degrees out. According to Richard Smith in his book 'black bear hunting ', if they don't bed down and bleed a decent amount while blood trailing it probably wasn't a fatal shot and the animal will survive.

Maybe someone with hounds could help you out? Good luck out there. I hope you find him. If not, i feel your pain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
I talked to my spotter and a few friends that have much more experince then what I have. We have figured out it was likely a liver shot do to the fact that there was no gut smell or look to the blood and that there was no bubbling of the blood on the ground. no luck today though, we had a snow overnight that covered up any tracks/sign from the day before. I searched all over all day today but I couldnt find where he was ended up. We spent most of the day today searching and then we were pushed off the mountain due to weather. I glassed over sevral hundred acres looking for him and hike through over 90 acres of forest searching for him. It really sucks not being able to find a injured animal, it really sucks how little bears bleed no matter what.

Back onto the topic: From what I have gathered bears will not always end up at the same spot at the same time every day. That being said if you have seen a bear you should be able to watch that same area over a extended period of time ( a week or longer) and run into the same bear from what i've experinced this summer and fall. This is just my experince from a few years and not nearly the level of experince many have on here.