Idaho discounted non-resident tags

I've never bear hunted, but I'd like to try a diy spot and stalk hunt this spring. It looks like the units are all northern Idaho in the panhandle. Are they discontinued due to overpopulation or because the terrain is just rugged?
f55d97ab82866e8c4af027b0e8f50301.jpg

Last edited:
most of these units are actually central Idaho, with some being north Idaho. Idaho fish and game has been on predator control for quite awhile. I shot a black bear that squared out at 6'4 and is the only bear I have ever shot. that was in unit 6. we do have a lot of bears, but we are quite steep and treed.

Those are all hard to access and hard to harvest backcountry units, hence the incentive. They are trying to bring hunters in there and those aren't the highest bear population units. They've all got wolf problems so they need predator control.

The terrain in most is very rugged.

WParent

FNG
I agree with Idahohiker, I just got back from 3 weeks of Black Bear hunting in unit 10. extremely difficult terrain. heavily wooded and steep inclines. not very many opportunities to glass. I even had bear bait tags. I put good bait in an area that had lots of fresh scat but they never toughed it. The berry's are still in abundance but maybe better in the spring. we checked the bait every 3rd day but not a bite. spot and stalk is near impossible in unit 10. I can attest to any other unit.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted all the Units 10 and under and they are all thick and tough for spot and stalk. They all have lots of bears though.
Wparent, just wondering how long you baited? Fall is always tougher to get a bait hit, but I can't imagine not getting touched if you had bait out any length of time. It's not discounted but unit might be your best spot and stalk unit. You can't bait or run dogs due to the number of Grizzlies so even though it's a thick panhandle unit it has more bears than the discounted units.