Is this enough Pistol?

TauPhi111

WKR
Before I start going into grizz country, I plan on converting a Springfield XD or 1911 to 460 Rowland. Gives you mid range 44 mag ballistics in a platform that's easier to control with much higher capacity. Just another option for ya

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve heard of alot of feeding issues with the 460 conversions. I carry a 10mm 1911, I️ have shot two grizzly withnit. One at close range and another st 180 yards backing up a client. With 200 gr hornady xtp. Both worked fine, not amazing but did what I️ needed it to do.

If you are expecting to buy a handgun as a “bear stopper”. Shut off the internet and just hit yourself in the face with something solid. A lot. I’ve seen 416’s and 378’s, 375’s all hammer on grizzlies with little effect. Any handgun pales in comparison on a ballistics chart (which bears can’t read). There is zero bear stopper calibers that a person can carry reasonably. There is only bear stopper placement. And that can be accomplished with almost any centerfire handgun. Small bullet in the right place is far better than a big one in the wrong place. Carry what you want that’s comfortable and points naturally for you.

ddiwd33

Banned
carry a .357 and its best for the job in my Opinion.
i carry a smith & Wesson while hunting bear, incase i am in a close range i use it to get a lung shot.

TauPhi111

WKR
I’ve heard of alot of feeding issues with the 460 conversions. I carry a 10mm 1911, I️ have shot two grizzly withnit. One at close range and another st 180 yards backing up a client. With 200 gr hornady xtp. Both worked fine, not amazing but did what I️ needed it to do.

If you are expecting to buy a handgun as a “bear stopper”. Shut off the internet and just hit yourself in the face with something solid. A lot. I’ve seen 416’s and 378’s, 375’s all hammer on grizzlies with little effect. Any handgun pales in comparison on a ballistics chart (which bears can’t read). There is zero bear stopper calibers that a person can carry reasonably. There is only bear stopper placement. And that can be accomplished with almost any centerfire handgun. Small bullet in the right place is far better than a big one in the wrong place. Carry what you want that’s comfortable and points naturally for you.

I'm interested to know what you mean by "did what I needed it to do" in reference to your 10mm. Did it kill the bear? Drop it in it's tracks? Or just turn it around from it's charge? Where did you hit these bears? I'm not questioning your choice of caliber, just interested in the details of how it performed.

Also I haven't heard much about the 460 conversions jamming, but I'll make sure to test that a bunch before I carry it as bear deterrent.

BRWNBR

WKR
Nope didn’t drop it. Very little reaction either time which is normal. But the first bear left, it was a defense of life and property. Followed up and killed it the next day. and the second was wounded and running away. I hit it twice at 180 yards, slowed it down till client got reloaded.

I carry a 10, only cause it has 14 rounds, fairly light, I adjusted the sights so I can hit what I aim at, which means I practiced, and I can get pretty heavy rounds for it

I am the guy who also carries bear spray, cause I might have to fend off a bear too, not just a hippy
Lol

My 10 compared to My shield
fd0e8b4dd8e8509c736074b889aae302.jpg

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I appreciate all the feedback Ive gotten on this. I think that I've settled on the 480 ruger in the Super Redhawk Alaskan (2.5"). I liked the 10mm Glock, but I have the same pistol in 40cal and decided that I wanted something a lot more different. It's probably going to be fairly unpleasant to shoot, but I'm ok with that and a fair trade for the cool factor (haha). I also realize that it Probably won't stop a Griz charge any better than the 40 would, but I hate to pass up such a good opportunity to justify a new gun purchase!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

CC

FNG
I hunt in Southwest Montana where there is always a chance to see a bear. I carry both spray and a 44- 629. I hope to someday have a 329Pd. Thankfully I haven't had to test, but being mentally prepared for an encounter is the best option. I have practiced reaching for my spray as a mental training exercise. That is exactly what happened when I was surprised, I reached for spray automatically over handgun. (It was not a bear) so carrying two deterrents is not a problem. My personally thoughts on Handguns. I believe either a 10 or a 44 will stop a bear. Bullet is probably more important than caliber. If you listen to most attacks they had a hard time getting off a round, let alone 15 so I'm not so sure capacity is a big concern. Second advantage for a revolver is you can drop it in mud, clean it off and will still shoot just fine. A semi has a higher propensity to jam. So for those reasons I carry the Revolver, the added bonus is more firepower. If you study bear attacks you will find Pepper spray is around 90 percent effective in deterring bears with 97 coming away mostly unharmed. I believe handguns are around 50-50. Remember as stated above you need to hit the CNS. I carry the spray for protection, the gun
so I can sleep at night.... I think you will enjoy the revolver.

colonel00

WKR
I hunt in Southwest Montana where there is always a chance to see a bear. I carry both spray and a 44- 629. I hope to someday have a 329Pd. Thankfully I haven't had to test, but being mentally prepared for an encounter is the best option. I have practiced reaching for my spray as a mental training exercise. That is exactly what happened when I was surprised, I reached for spray automatically over handgun. (It was not a bear) so carrying two deterrents is not a problem. My personally thoughts on Handguns. I believe either a 10 or a 44 will stop a bear. Bullet is probably more important than caliber. If you listen to most attacks they had a hard time getting off a round, let alone 15 so I'm not so sure capacity is a big concern. Second advantage for a revolver is you can drop it in mud, clean it off and will still shoot just fine. A semi has a higher propensity to jam. So for those reasons I carry the Revolver, the added bonus is more firepower. If you study bear attacks you will find Pepper spray is around 90 percent effective in deterring bears with 97 coming away mostly unharmed. I believe handguns are around 50-50. Remember as stated above you need to hit the CNS. I carry the spray for protection, the gun
so I can sleep at night.... I think you will enjoy the revolver.

So out of curiosity, if you've trained yourself to reach for the spray as a reaction, is the gun just there as a backup?

This kind of goes back to my earlier question about deciding what to use and when if you're carrying both. It sounds like you instinctually reach for the spray now so is there any decision process?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
The 480 alaskan just arrived at the gun shop yesterday. Will pick it up this afternoon and run a few rounds through it. At $2.55/round though, I might have to start looking into reloading. On the other hand, as it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot, a few boxes of shells might last me a while. Or forever!

mt100gr.

WKR
I will occasionally carry both spray and a Glock in 10mm. My "reasoning" being : if things get hairy, I don't want to be hiking out with an empty can. Then again, should I end up with an empty can, I'm not certain that a hand gun and an unsettled mind go well together either.

I usually only carry both when I'm alone in big bear country or going in to retrieve meat. It also depends what others with me are carrying.

I will occasionally carry both spray and a Glock in 10mm. My "reasoning" being : if things get hairy, I don't want to be hiking out with an empty can. Then again, should I end up with an empty can, I'm not certain that a hand gun and an unsettled mind go well together either.

I usually only carry both when I'm alone in big bear country or going in to retrieve meat. It also depends what others with me are carrying.

Haha yea a guy with an empty bear spray holster is someone you don't want to surprise in the back country- dude's already on edge
and knows where that side arm is for sure...

Mt Al

WKR
I use a Glock 10mm due to number of bullets and how fast they can be sprayed towards the bear. I don't have time to practice pistol along with archery and rifle, so I know I need volume vs. hoping one or two big azz bullets out of a snub nosed revolver is going to hit something. I empty a few mags at a log a week or two before hunting season, that's it. I use factory loaded 200g because I'm interested in reliability vs. worrying over a few tens of foot pounds. I figure if it happens I won't be like a movie star with ice in my veins, staring him down. It will be the opposite. I had a single action 41 mag that looked all cool and tried rapid follow up shots a few years ago. Comical at best. As BRWNBR wrote, take what fits your hand.

I choose to remain in denial

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I picked up the 480 Alaskan Saturday night. Wow. For a lot of reasons. Wow.

I tried to get a picture to show the scale of this thing but I don't think I've done it justice. For those of you that have never held one I've these things up close it looks like a damn stainless steel Flare Gun!

It is very impressive, and it feels good in the hand. Until you shoot it. I couldn't finish a box of 20.

Well, I could have, but I didn't want to. My hand was beginning to hurt after about 10 rounds and after sending a few more I could feel myself wanting to brace for the recoil. Dont want to invite bad habits so I stopped there. Ive decided that 2x cylinders per outing is a good level for me for now. I Went out again the next day (yesterday) and ran that and it felt about right. My accuracy (between 5-10 yards) is extremely good for about 4 rounds per cylinder. More than I would ever probably get off in a am actual charge anyway.

It's not a target pistol. It really has only one purpose and I think it would excel at that if it's ever called upon. Hopefully it never leaves it's holster.

I haven't built up the courage to shoot it one handed yet.
6d1cf954434b400c4ad9a834dbe81e2b.jpg
c37960ad92ef4a0555ca43f992fe5033.jpg

I carry a Glock 20 with handloads in a guides choice holster most all the time now. Also carry a 329 in the same chest rig occasionally. The extra capacity to maybe let my intentions be known before things get all western makes me feel a little better. That said i was carrying the 329 this spring when i had to put a shot between the front legs of a stupid adolescent blackie at about 5 or 6 yards. He didnt care about my lack of extra capacity that day. Haha
Northern Idaho is freaking awesome!

BRWNBR

WKR
Better build up courage and use it one handed, with a bear on top of you you gonna need to use it one handed and not drop it when the gun goes off.