Is this enough Pistol?

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Better build up courage and use it one handed, with a bear on top of you you gonna need to use it one handed and not drop it when the gun goes off.
At that point I wouldnt need to be to accurate, just push it in and pull the trigger! Or maybe at that point I should just aim it at my own forehead instead! HaHa!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I think the better questions would not be who is carrying a 10mm but who has used one in a DLP situation. In my opinion the 10mm is on the light side but double the amount of rounds could offset that I suppose. I wouldn't carry a glock though, maybe a 1911 in 10mm. Everyone I know and have talked to puts the 44 as the minimum. Most people that I know and have seen totting around 10mm pistols are military guys that are just up here for a short time. My wife and I had an encounter with a sow and a 7.5' boar last spring. The sow charged and she took 4 rounds of 300 grain a-frames from my 454. The boar came charging in right behind her and one round anchored him on the spot. IMHO the pros of a revolver are the durability vs. say a plastic pistol. Not saying you should carry a 454, just seek out the opinions of those who have used the cartridge/gun in question as opposed to the people who just carry it. To each their own though.

BRWNBR

WKR
I DLP’d
A bear with a 10mm one night. Gut shot him in the dark. Found him the next morning and finished him off. . Phil shoemaker DLP’d one with his 9mm.

jhm2023

WKR
My concern for a DLP handgun would be having enough power to break down a bear that is in full charge at 15 yards or less, not so much shooting a bear broadside that is just circling camp or something to that effect. I personally want a gun that will penetrate the skull no matter where I hit it in the head, or bust through the front of the chest/shoulder and make it through to the vitals breaking every bone in its path. With the boar I mentioned in my DLP situation the 300 grain a-frame entered the front of his left shoulder and exited just in front of his right hip. I would attribute him dropping instantly to busting his shoulder to pieces and shocking his system. Perhaps I'm over thinking it, but I've killed close to a dozen bears and thankfully only 2 were DLP.

jhm2023

WKR
Defense of Life and Property. It's a term used by Alaska department of fish and game. I wouldn't say it is cool though. One of the less pleasant experiences in my life.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
USGS regulations for their survey teams recommend at least a shotgun or a .30 caliber magnum rifle as the first choice and no handgun smaller than a .44 mag.

For those that believe that a high capacity semi-auto is an advantage, you need to do a little more research on actual attacks rather than reading junk from forum experts. The average bear attack will happen in less than 3 to 5 seconds. Most victims won't even know that the bear is close until it's within 30 yards and on a dead run toward you, that bear will cover the distance in under 3 seconds. How many well placed shots can you put in to 6 inch circle in 3 seconds- with your adrenalin pumping, wearing a pack, probably turned slightly away from the bear? I figure I might get two good shots off and I'm a pretty good pistoleer. So if I can get two shots off I want them to make really big holes in that bear and get to places where they'll do the most damage.

The biggest caliber that I can handle within these parameters is a .454 but I prefer my .44mag with heavy bear loads. As for the 10mm vs. .44mag argument- seriously? How can you possibly believe that a 10mm is as effective as a .44mag bear load? HSM makes bear ammo and their 10mm load produces 481 ft/lbs of energy compared to their .44mag load that produces 1075 ft/lbs of energy, and their bear loads are hot enough that they are recommended to be shot in only the strongest model handguns.

I understand that some people can't handle a big magnum pistol, and in that event pick the biggest gun you can handle accurately, but don't kid yourself about your gun's capabilities, if it's smaller than a .44mag then it's just not going to be as powerful as a .44mag. It takes a lot of energy and mass to break a bear's heavy bones so when my life is on the line I want as much bullet weight and energy as I can handle. If you feel comfortable leaving your bear gun in the truck or carrying a 10mm because it's lighter then you must not be very concerned about the bear threat and in that case why carry anything more than bells and bear spray.

colonel00

WKR
Just curious, how many well placed shots can you put on a quickly approaching target from 30 yards or less in 3 seconds with a .30 caliber magnum rifle? We can even give some helpful assumptions that the rifle is in hand and not on a sling and that it doesn't have a scope for faster target acquisition.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
I agree with ramont.

I don't put myself in the bigger is better category when it comes to hunting firearms. However I'll take the largest handgun I can manage when it comes to handguns for bear defense. I'm talking about true bear defense, not you got scared because a bear was kind of close snooping around.

Think of a 1,000 plus pound animal who's sole purpose in life is killing things as big as moose running at a dead sprint with the intent of killing you and it is less than 30 yards away. Now that you have that in your mind, do you really want a plastic framed 10mm in your hand?

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ll take my 10mm. Truth be told 1000lb bears are not the norm. Coastal that’s a 9’ plus bear. That’s a big target. It’s those 300lb 3 and 4 year old bears that don’t know better that are the problem! But my 10mm isn’t a plastic one.

frankrb3

WKR
Defense of Life and Property. It's a term used by Alaska department of fish and game. I wouldn't say it is cool though. One of the less pleasant experiences in my life.

It was a joke man. Sorry about your experience. Thanks for explaining DLP though.

jaredgreen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll take my 10mm. Truth be told 1000lb bears are not the norm. Coastal that’s a 9’ plus bear. That’s a big target. It’s those 300lb 3 and 4 year old bears that don’t know better that are the problem! But my 10mm isn’t a plastic one.

Why is everyone concerned with what the pistol is made of? Unless we are planning on pistol whipping a bear as a plan b, it just needs to go boom...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
Boom is a good thing! I don’t care what it’s made of! The plastic ones don’t fit my tiny hands.

Easy there. I didn't tell you to change anything or even say that you were in the wrong. I just asked a question.

Regarding law enforcement officers, how much training to they go through to be able to make those quick decisions?
Not enough

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

AKBorn

WKR
I think 2 hostile Alaskan grizzlies have been killed already with 10mm this year, one on Afognak and one on JBER if I am recalling the story correctly...

I personally carry a 454 casual ( always been better with a wheel gun)

Now for my wife I did some research and what got me set on her hand gun- tarus tracker .357 was it had 7 shots and was very accurate.
One night at a local Trappers meeting Joe Nava was present discussing firearms ( he’s an instructor) when asked about side arms his response was the only thing he carry’s is a .357 - there was a question about it be too light for bear- he told of working on the Delta bison project and how that .357 dropped a few bison charging.

No matter what side arm you pick, shoot it a lot. Get comfortable using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have never shot a bear and don't claim to know anything about them so take this for what it's worth.

I have had to euthanize some cattle over the years on the ranch for one reason or another. It's not something that I enjoy doing, but it is part of ranching. I have learned that the minimum handgun that I am comfortable using is a 4" barrel 357 magnum and a 158gr JHP or preferably JSP of reasonably stout construction. Those will penetrate the skull from any angle every time. An older bull or cow has a pretty stout skull.

I'm fairly sure that if I had Buffalo Bore or similar ammo in my 9mm or 45 instead of FMJ I'd have seen better results penetrating bone. I never planned to use the semi-auto guns, I just ended up in a spot where they were what I had at the time and needed to end an animals suffering. The frontal shot didn't break the skull either time, but did stun the animal enough that I could get in position to place a shot behind the ear pretty quick. After deciding I would only use the 357 I started carrying one in each of my ranch trucks. The 3" barreled S&W 60 failed to penetrate the skull first shot once on an older cow with the 158gr ammo, so I quit using it also. I assumed it just didnt' have quite enough velocity in the short barrel, but it could have been a freak deal. Either way this is a job I want done as painless as possible so I'm sticking with what I know works. Since going to 6" Ruger Security Sixes I found reasonably priced at pawn shops in both trucks I've went years without an issue. I won't ever go lighter again. It's an unpleasant part of my job to have to end the suffering of our stock and when it is necessary I want to do it as quick and painless as possible.

I just wanted to share my experience. It's a different animal under far different circumstances, but it's still penetrating bone with a handgun.

I do hunt in black bear areas and have plans to hunt in grizzly areas. I carry a handgun when scouting and sometimes when also carrying a rifle. I'm currently using a S&W 386XL Hunter in 357. It's just over 30oz, as light as the 4" Ruger SP101 it replaced. It is a full size 6" barrel 7 shot revolver that I can shoot well. I grew up putting bricks of 22LR through a Ruger Single Six and when I draw a revolver my muscle memory has me cocking the revolver in the process. The 357 puts my thumb in the right position to do this. I have a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44 magnum that is just a little to big a revolver for me to do this as quick and smooth. It's a great revolver and I can shoot it well just not as fast. I had my gunsmith smooth up the trigger and install Meprolight Tritium night sights on it to make it a great sidearm for bear country. Practicing with it I just can't put the first shot on target as quick or reliably as I can with my 386. I don't have huge hands, I wear a L in most gloves. I put the Redhawk on Gunbroker recently. I shoot 1911's quite a bit and may end up going to a 10mm 1911 at some point, but I don't know. They are considerably heavier than my 357 and I don't know that I'd every be quite as quick and accurate as I am with the 357. I don't shoot striker fired handguns as well as I do 1911's or revolvers with their crisp triggers so I'll stay away from the Glock or new Springfield XD 10mm. I spend to much time shooting rifles with 2lb triggers and just don't do nearly as well with the long spongy triggers on striker fired autos.