cA Black Bear Hibernation

JohnnyB

WKR
My understanding is that many ca black bear do not hibernate all winter but hibernate sporadically. Does anybody know how to tell when the period of hibernation begins in the d5-d6 areas? Do storms drive the bears into rest or is it food sources drying up?

After hunting higher elevations last week and lower elevations this week, I found very little fresh sign yet this winter has started slower than most. Ironically, I have spotted several really nice bucks at higher elevations that I had assumed migrated lower a few weeks ago.

Here in Southern Ca, the bears do NOT hibernate, they just drop down to a comfortable elevation (if they are originally at higher elevation. I would think you have a mix going on in D3 - D5. In some areas of D3-D5, those bears would have to travel some distance to not need to hibernate. In short, I think the main factor will be the bears location and the severity of the winter in that particular location.

In the area of the southern Sierra that I hunt, the bears move out of the high country as winter is approaching, generally by late October.

xl mammal

FNG
I'm interested, as well. I still have a bear tag, and I was considering heading up to the Trinity Alps for Thanksgiving weekend. Wondering if it's too late.

nickstone

WKR
I'm interested, as well. I still have a bear tag, and I was considering heading up to the Trinity Alps for Thanksgiving weekend. Wondering if it's too late.

I hunted in the Sierras last weekend the day after it snowed and there were fresh tracks from multiple bears at the snow line. A friend was hunting in Mendo county at lower elevations last week and saw bears moving too. You should be fine. Good Luck

I was up in D3 Sunday below snow line. Didn’t see any bear sign but they’re out. Find oaks and you should find bears.

Absolutely not, perfect timing in fact. I nailed mine the day after the first snow. Tracks help.

163476_1751850277150_3429137_n.jpg

Last edited:

bohntr

WKR
I just arrowed this big ol' bruin yesterday in Lassen County while on my deer hunt.......they're still out and about!

Attachments

• Bear 2017.jpg
    Bear 2017.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 82

ddiwd33

Banned
From the little experience i have and watching too much Tv, a number if things lead bears into hibernation, the Storm is one, While bears tend to slow down during the winter, they are not true hibernators. Black bears, Grizzly bears and Brown bears do go into a deep sleep during the winter months, known as torpor. Hibernation is when animals “sleep” through the winter. ... They hibernate to escape the cold and because food is scarce.

ddiwd33

Banned
During a black bear's hibernation, its metabolic rate slows and its temperature may drop, but a safety mechanism prevents it from dropping too low. Once hibernating, bears do not eat, drink, urinate or defecate. They will change position while in the den, they may awaken and move about, and they may be aroused.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
It is still pretty warm in many areas, especially in Southern California. Due to heavy rains early in the year, there is an abundance of feed in many areas. Bears will stay out feeding as long as there is food. They will also migrate to an area that has food. Still plenty time left to get a bear this year.

xl mammal

FNG
I spent 3 days in the Trinity Alps over this last weekend. Started in Hobo Gulch and then moved over to Virgin Creek. I saw no hobos or virgins. The only bears I saw were on the drive to/from the Virgin Creek trail head... a beautiful cinnamon sow with cubs on the way in and a black boar on the way out. Plenty of acorns on the ground, so I have no doubt that they're still out and about. It's just rough terrain with few places to glass...that I found, anyway.

The blacktail certainly know that the season is over, though. I counted 32 of those a55holes.

Last edited:
Same question, a month later. Thinking about going to the d8 or d9 right after christmas. Still no snow there. What say you people that have bear knowledge?

I had several different ones moving around on camera last week north of there at elevations between 7,000-8,000 ft.

Just found out we're supposed to get a little snow within the next 48 hours. They'll prolly close the goldentrout wilderness but I'll prolly still get to hunt the d9. I gotta spot picked out within an hour from my house. Thanx for the info.

OP
J

JohnnyB

WKR
With only a few days left in the season, I am thinking of heading toward the Yolla Bolly wilderness for a last ditch effort. Anyone familiar with the conditions of the trails and access roads this time of year? The forest service shut most of the gates to access the Stanislaus National Forest and I would hate to find this out about Mendocino after a six hour drive.

kickemall

WKR
I can't help you a lot with the Mendocino side of the Yolla Bolly's because I haven't been in there since early fall but I don't think you'll find much for bear in there as the feed didn't hit very well that high up. Earlier there wasn't much for bear or bear sign in there. The guys I've talked to on that side say that there are a lot of bear down low in the chemise brush just above Elk Creek and Paskenta. Pretty hard to hunt in that but there's plenty of ground right above the brush that is pretty good hunting but not wilderness. Not much pressure this time of year. Good luck.