Going on my annual PA bear hunt

TauPhi111

WKR
This isn't exactly a back country hunt, but I thought you all might like to read about a unique bear hunt. Every year I go do bear drives in PA's state and national forests with a group of guys. This is my 12th season, and we usually kill bears every year. One year, we got an albino bear, and 2 years ago we got a 500lb monster. Leaving today and the season starts tomorrow. Field and Stream ran an article on us back in 2006. I think a lot of you will enjoy reading it. Here's the link:

Field & Stream - Google Books

Hopefully it works. The link takes you to the middle of the article for some reason, so make sure to go to the beginning of the article. It's the feature.

Headed with my dad tomorrow as well. We typically use the time to look for deer and just get back together.

One year a bear crossed our paths but typically is just a brush busting mission with deer sightings

ddiwd33

Banned
Very nice, thanks for sharing and good luck on your hunt, looking to see good pictures and story.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Unfortunately, during the regular PA bear season we got totally skunked for the first time in a long time. The first day, it started pouring rain as soon as we started the first drive. By the end of the first drive, our entire crew was soaked through to the skin, and with temps hovering right around freezing, we decided to pack it in and go back to the house, and would go out again if the weather broke. Total bears killed across PA on that first day was only 1/3 - 1/2 what it had been on previous years. Second day we lost a couple guys due to other obligations, and we drove some areas we know often produce bears. Again no luck, although we did push out a pile of deer and we'll be driving those areas in rifle season. Third day was the same thing. During those 3 days, I might have heard 3 shots. I imagine the harvest will be quite low this year and that nasty weather plays a major part.

Bear comes back in during part of the rifle deer season, a period we call "safari season" because bucks, does, and bears are all in season. Often times we might only get one or two bears during the regular season, and then several more during safari season, so all hope is not lost yet.

ddiwd33

Banned
Unfortunately, during the regular PA bear season we got totally skunked for the first time in a long time. The first day, it started pouring rain as soon as we started the first drive. By the end of the first drive, our entire crew was soaked through to the skin, and with temps hovering right around freezing, we decided to pack it in and go back to the house, and would go out again if the weather broke. Total bears killed across PA on that first day was only 1/3 - 1/2 what it had been on previous years. Second day we lost a couple guys due to other obligations, and we drove some areas we know often produce bears. Again no luck, although we did push out a pile of deer and we'll be driving those areas in rifle season. Third day was the same thing. During those 3 days, I might have heard 3 shots. I imagine the harvest will be quite low this year and that nasty weather plays a major part.

Bear comes back in during part of the rifle deer season, a period we call "safari season" because bucks, does, and bears are all in season. Often times we might only get one or two bears during the regular season, and then several more during safari season, so all hope is not lost yet.

Bear, hate the Cold and they dont hunt during such weather/climate condition. well anything can still happen, chin up.