New spring bear hunter

lcneo2112

FNG
I live in Colorado. I am going to be trying to do my first bear hunt this spring. I really got it in my head that I want to go DIY spring bear in Montana. I’ve never seen a grizzly. the unknownness if that is a word, freaks me out. Are grizzlies a real risk? Are they so rare that I’m wasting my time worrying? I was wondering if there is just some Montana guys who would let me pick their brains. I called the MT game and fish with no luck at all.

I haven’t found any good maps showing black bear or grizzly distribution. The hunt planner maps are again doo doo.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Just go to eastern Montana and you'll be fine. Google Grizzy distribution in Montana and you will find a shaded map.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I would go to western Montana. Not many bears in the eastern parts. Get up high and glass the south facing slopes. Follow the snow line and look for neon green grass and cliffy areas. Rockslides are a good place to spot them too.

Don’t waste your time in the eastern part of the state. You have to hunt western Montana for black bears.

Yeah most of that area has a concentration of grizzlies but more areas will have a higher population than others. I wouldn’t let griz freak you out of your hunt though. I spend a decent amount of my hunting time in griz areas and haven’t even seen one in the wild. However the areas are not known to have a very large concentration either. You still need to respect them and keep a clean camp. Prepare yourself with a side arm or spray, be smart with your food/camp, and enjoy your hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk