Bear Bait. . .what do you use and why?

BRWNBR

WKR
One that got away. And some that didn’t.
092c5565b9c1991841e9e7175b4b3492.jpg
c58f307790175eb266f63ccff06087e4.jpg
624f8a85f7ed87ea874e7ccb00ccad5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Now as far as location is concerned, I've been debating between two for this spring and I'm stuck.

1. Bait in a wooded area near the edge of the field as it is easily accessible for filling baits frequently and generously. I feel as though the bears may feel exposed in this situation and may not be as likely to come in for a snack.

2. Bait deeper into the woods where filling the baits wont be as easy and the portions may be less. The bears may feel more secure and protected, but the amount of food they can get will decrease.

It seems like the general consensus is volume of food, but I am curious to know everyones thoughts.

blasterak

FNG
I mainly use popcorn, with a kool aid or similar type of liquid sprayed on it to add a sweet scent, cheap and most important light to pack into the site. Also been using Bait Em 907 Scent products for years, Jess makes great products. My favorite is the scent ball hung up in between two trees, the gel balls on the ground so bears spread the scent, tar, and burn formula. I also use pretty much whatever I can get be it pastries, candies, dog food, etc. not a fan of bread products so much though cause they tend to mold and noticed my bears tend to hit the popcorn more than anything.
One method I use if I get a bear hanging up and have a partner with me is to refresh the bait, either one of us climb in the stand and have one of you walk out. This worked a few times had bear come in almost immediately after my buddy was maybe 300yds out and I arrowed it. This may have worked for me as occasionally I'd just go into my bait to check the cams and refresh than head out, so they kind of 'patterned' me in a sense lol.

Now as far as location is concerned, I've been debating between two for this spring and I'm stuck.

1. Bait in a wooded area near the edge of the field as it is easily accessible for filling baits frequently and generously. I feel as though the bears may feel exposed in this situation and may not be as likely to come in for a snack.

2. Bait deeper into the woods where filling the baits wont be as easy and the portions may be less. The bears may feel more secure and protected, but the amount of food they can get will decrease.

It seems like the general consensus is volume of food, but I am curious to know everyones thoughts.
Our bait site is about 15 miles into the woods on a main gravel road, and then about a 1/4 mile off of that road. I think we would do better being farther off of that road....like maybe a mile?
What has worked for us is to bait first thing Saturday morning. Bring in 100-150lbs dog food, generally will just make it through to the next Saturday, with 5-6 good bears on the bait. Have had 10+ bears on this bait, and ended up having to put out bait every other day (100+lbs). That was a lot of work, driving 100 miles every other morning before getting to work at 8am. Still managed to hunt that bait almost every night.

If you're going to bait within 1/4 mile of a road or atv trail, pay attention to the prevailing wind direction. If the wind is moving back towards the road from your bait, then you'll have hounds running your bears. Frustrating to bait in a big bruin and have someone else kill it because you brought it close enough to the road for hounds to easily smell it.

OP
T

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're going to bait within 1/4 mile of a road or atv trail, pay attention to the prevailing wind direction. If the wind is moving back towards the road from your bait, then you'll have hounds running your bears. Frustrating to bait in a big bruin and have someone else kill it because you brought it close enough to the road for hounds to easily smell it.

Thanks blue.

From game cams I know I've got some big boys hangin in my area. Last year I tried to maintain 3 bait sites, which was difficult. All 3 baits had bears hitting them and then I had to hope I was sitting at the right one. Do you see any disadvantage of setting all 3 barrels on the same tree and maintaining the heck outta 1 spot? Can you have too much bait?

BRWNBR

WKR
I start with multiple baits, drag scent trails between then and then let all but the one with the best set up dry up. Then I’ve got everything coming to one bait.

OP
T

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I start with multiple baits, drag scent trails between then and then let all but the one with the best set up dry up. Then I’ve got everything coming to one bait.

Makes sense. Approximately how much distance between the sites?

BRWNBR

WKR
Mine were about a mile apart.

The first year we baited we had about three or four baits all active. But we never saw a bear. Anytime we were at a stand they were at another bait. Once we dried up all but one everyone whose sat a bait has shot s bear.

Last edited:

lang

Lil-Rokslider
We have used everything, but have stuck with sweet cob as our base. Just easier, cleaner, and it will start to sprout after 3-4 weeks of baiting and bears will start eating the new sprouts. We have seen better luck getting bigger bears in earlier when we bait less amount, but more often. Seems to increase competition when you have multiple bears and they figure out they have to come in earlier to get any.

bcbear3

FNG
Maintaining a bait is a lot of work and not legal in some states so......you hunt bears natural food source.
In the spring in Alaska they go to beach or skunk cabbage.
Saw bears on Wy hillsides with skunk cabbage.
Seen bears in CA eating acorns in NF. Public land above avocado orchards is good.
In New Mexico saw them eating pinion berries. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The best call scent made is Knock Out, from James Valley Scents. I use that in conjunction with beaver castor and anise.

Clarktar

WKR
The best call scent made is Knock Out, from James Valley Scents. I use that in conjunction with beaver castor and anise.
Do you just buy basic anise like what is found in the grocery?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Do you just buy basic anise like what is found in the grocery?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Use the pure anise, the grocery store stuff isn't nearly as potent.

(I use it for salmon fishing)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
Used just about everything you can imagine, but always oats and grease in the barrel for substance.

For effectiveness-
#1 by far: Rotting beaver carcasses tied high above where they can reach
#2: Bait 'em 907 attractant spray in anise, beaver castor, and blueberry. I like the gel balls too because you can thrown them a long ways from the stand.
#3: Pure anise oil

I throw a scent buffet at them. I want it to be like going to the food court at a mall- overwhelming amount of food scents of numerous varieties.

Where legal, organ meat soaked in scent oil is pretty powerful.

OP
T

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Used just about everything you can imagine, but always oats and grease in the barrel for substance.

For effectiveness-
#1 by far: Rotting beaver carcasses tied high above where they can reach
#2: Bait 'em 907 attractant spray in anise, beaver castor, and blueberry. I like the gel balls too because you can thrown them a long ways from the stand.
#3: Pure anise oil

I throw a scent buffet at them. I want it to be like going to the food court at a mall- overwhelming amount of food scents of numerous varieties.

Where legal, organ meat soaked in scent oil is pretty powerful.

I've heard alot about these rotting beaver carcasses. . .where does one go to find one of these beauties? My local hide and fur place?

BRWNBR

WKR
Local trappers or wildlife control companies that trap nuisance beavers can often come by them.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience they don’t care much about other carcasses like coons and groundhogs
Beaver is the #1 bait in my experience, followed by corn with molasses, baked goods and bacon fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk