What is the "Process" of a Back country Hunt

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,

I am wanting to plan a Spring Bear hunt in Idaho. Looking at Units 1-6. I am wondering how the whole process works, though. This will be my first back country hunt ever, so I would like to hike in and camp for at least a few days, and do spot and stalk. My question is in regards to how the hunt actually works. I plan to fly in to Spokane, drive over to Idaho and then hike in somewhere. But how exactly does that work? Do you just find a parking spot somewhere and then leave your car there for days? Do most people follow trails for a few miles and then just head off the trail at some point? Is it feasible to stay in a hotel off I-90 (or similar) and get up each morning, hike in and hike out that night to stay in hotel? I don't want to do that, but my hunting partner seems a little hesitant about staying out there the whole time, so I want to be able to give him an out if necessary. If you guys could just kind of hive me a run down of how a backcountry hunt works, that would be great. For Example, I imagine it like:

1) Arrive at airport.
2) Drive to a trail head (how do I find these though? are there designated ones for hunters or something? Can I just park anywhere realistically as long as its in the hunting zone?)
3) Park and hike in on trail for certain distance.
4) Go off trail to location that was previously aerial scouted.
5) Make base camp.
6) Each morning, get up and hike to ridge and glass all day.
Repeat until adventure is over, or bear harvested.
7) Hike back to car and drive to airport and go home.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Do you already have your time-frame picked out on when you'll be hunting? I live in the Spokane area and have hunted the area you are talking about. Snow pack and weather will determine what altitudes you'll be able to access and want to hunt. As I'm sure you know, certain units in that range you listed have greatly discounted bear tags as well.

You sound extremely new to this so you should really start with pouring through the forums, check out a bunch of youtube videos, and get a general idea of what you are doing so you can ask more specifics questions instead of the shotgun "how do you backcountry hunt" approach.

sveltri

WKR
This is by now means meant to be taken negatively, but the op’s question really made me consider how lucky some of are to live in elk country and how easy it is to take whatever knowledge we have for granted. Maddmartagan take Rusty’s advice in addition to keep doing your research. It sounds like your on the right path. I would really make sure I knew how “on board” my partner was before going on the trip together. I’ve been severely burned by my buddy that just wasn’t that into it when the rubber met the road. Good luck on your hunt.

Eastern Elk Pursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Hey brother. My buddy and I are planning the same trip (flying to Spokane and driving to coeur d’aline or priest lake. This is also our first trip. We will be coming from New Jersey just outside New York City. I have poured over these forums for hours trying to plan . Would you be interested in trying to set up a trip together? We have been training with packs for a backcountry spot and stalk style as well.

OP
M

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

So it seems I should definitely clarify some things. First, I really appreciate the responses and I don't take any of them negatively at all. In fact, they made me realize what this thread looked like, which came off as "hey tell me how to do a backcountry hunt." I am not really asking "how do you backcountry hunt", but more of trying to get a sense of the smaller details that are not that glamorous, so no one talks about them. I'm from Alabama, so we just do not have the amount of untouched public land as out West. I go "backcountry" hunting/camping here in the National Forests, but it would be tough to find a spot in the middle of the woods that doesn't have a road within a mile in some direction no matter how far off the path you try to go. With Idaho, there are areas where you'd have to walk miles before you came upon a road. So right now, I guess that's my biggest question, parking/getting to those areas. If I find an area, I want to hunt, do most people just park wherever they want along the road (which is what you can do here) or do you have to park at a designated trail head/parking lot/etc. Once you are out there, how common is it for people to head back into to town for a night and then head back into the backcountry?

I do apologize if this specific issue has been covered. I have been researching quite a while, and am starting to get down to the little details and just can't remember if I have read stuff like this already.

Rustymadsen, I have the time picked out. It would be the week of June 11th, so I don't THINK the snow would be much of an issue.

Sveltri, I appreciate the comment on my hunting buddy not being that into it. In truth, its my brother, so I'm not worried about it once we are actually on the trip, it's the convincing him to go on a DIY hunt, as opposed to a guided hunt that is the problem, so I want to be able to answer all his little questions that I'm not really concerned about, but he has brought up.

sveltri

WKR
Apparently I just have elk on the mind as you made no mention of elk at all but I somehow thought that’s what you guys were doing. I don’t know anything about spring bear hunting or Idaho, but you may be surprised what you could find for snow. There are a ton of guys on here that can offer advice to make your trip better, but remember it’s YOUR trip. You guys can do it however is most appealing to you. Coming to town in the middle your hunt to refuel, rest, shower, laundry, etc may be a huge benefit for your mental state. If you plan it that way and decide to just stay out there nothing lost. If you’re on a public road next to public land then yes, you can just pull off the road and park. Trailheads can be busy but you’d be surprised how easy it can be to get away from the masses...most of the time.

Randle

WKR
Good advice already. Yes you can park at any wide spot in the road as long as its state and not private. Obviously don't block the road or gate if you do park at a side road. Onx will help with that. I would advise a wolf tag also . We would love for you to take a couple home. Haha. You can tent camp at the road or at campgrounds. No need for a hotel, just spike out a few days and come back to the base camp. Again make it your hunt no harm in coming out for a few hours ,shower , good food and head back out. Keep us posted and have fun planning

You're on the right track. As far as access goes, just be aware that there sometimes are developed campgrounds that you have to pay for. They're usually the popular areas, but sometimes you need to suck it up and pay to camp or even to park. Down here, some of the most popular trailheads that offer wilderness access cost. One of my favorite trailheads charges two dollars/day to park. However, there's tons of places where you can pull off and park/camp for free. You'll generally find that in areas that have roads, nearly every available flat spot along the road has a fire ring and is available first come first served. Just depends on the spot you've chosen to hunt. Just some broad generalizations based on experience primarily in New Mexico. I imagine it's about the same up north.
As Randle said, having a shower bag and a fresh change of clothes at the truck can be an amazing boost.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
This was my process for my 1st elk hunt last year at 11k feet and coming from Louisiana.

1. Spend hundreds of hours researching and planning and thousands on new gear. Get in shape.

2. Arrive at trailhead. Despite being in shape, lose your breath walking 100 yards to set up a target on flat ground at elevation.

3. 2-3 mile pack in and set camp. It’s 10 degrees instead of 25 because I’m dumb and looked at forecasts for towns 6k feet lower. Buddy is soaked through with sweat. Our butts are saved because I have a stove in my Cimarron and he’s able to keep warm and dry out. Those hundreds of hours researching starting to pay off.

4. Spend next several days surviving/hunting/suffering. Come close on some animals, but never close the deal and second-guessing the whole time.

5. Pack up camp and hike out at dark in a blizzard when a storm comes in that’s expected to drop 18” of snow (thank god I connected with a local guy on here that gave some pointers along the way and sent a message about the storm). At least body now acclimated to elevation and can move with relative ease.

6. Arrive at truck joyful until you smell each other and start feeling your own funk once you’re confined in the cab.

7. Miserable, exhausting drive home 20+ hours.

8. Feelings of misery and disappointment replaced by sense of accomplishment and appreciation for for the adventure.

9. Start scheming your next trip because you know you had an unlucky break or two and you know next time you’ll be more prepared and luck might swing the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
This was my process for my 1st elk hunt last year at 11k feet and coming from Louisiana.

1. Spend hundreds of hours researching and planning and thousands on new gear. Get in shape.

2. Arrive at trailhead. Despite being in shape, lose your breath walking 100 yards to set up a target on flat ground at elevation.

3. 2-3 mile pack in and set camp. It’s 10 degrees instead of 25 because I’m dumb and looked at forecasts for towns 6k feet lower. Buddy is soaked through with sweat. Our butts are saved because I have a stove in my Cimarron and he’s able to keep warm and dry out. Those hundreds of hours researching starting to pay off.

4. Spend next several days surviving/hunting/suffering. Come close on some animals, but never close the deal and second-guessing the whole time.

5. Pack up camp and hike out at dark in a blizzard when a storm comes in that’s expected to drop 18” of snow (thank god I connected with a local guy on here that gave some pointers along the way and sent a message about the storm). At least body now acclimated to elevation and can move with relative ease.

6. Arrive at truck joyful until you smell each other and start feeling your own funk once you’re confined in the cab.

8. Feelings of misery and disappointment replaced by sense of accomplishment and appreciation for for the adventure.

9. Start scheming your next trip because you know you had an unlucky break or two and you know next time you’ll be more prepared and luck might swing the other way.

Lol, I think we all start the same.

KurtR

WKR

One of the best post ever.

I will add after two years of hunting Idaho that just because the map says there is a trail does not mean it has been used. If people can ride a motorcycle on alot of those motorcycle trails they need to be in the xgames i could barley walk them.

vanish

WKR
1.) Snow and June can be a bigger problem than you'd think. It isn't usually going to snow on you, but there could be feet of snow left over from the winter still. Have several locations selected at different elevations.

2.) Yes, if you're backcountry hunting, you just leave your car at the parking spot. Keep valuables out of sight.

3.) Most people stay pretty close to trails, but usually the best hunting requires getting off the trail.

4.) If you're backpacking in to camp, you generally aren't going to town in the evening. There just isn't enough time to hike back to camp, then back to the truck, then drive to town, then drive etc. I do know guys that camp at their vehicle and drive to town for dinner, but keep in mind these are generally rocky dirt roads you're driving to get to bear country, so it would not be unusual for it to be a two hour round trip.

5.) Motels; to each their own, but the only time we grab a motel is if we tag out early and its a long drive home. Its just too much driving back and forth. We do car camp a lot, but we like to wake up in the morning, and already be in the general vicinity of where we're hunting.

I want to emphasize the affects of high altitude. You said you were from Alabama, which is basically at sea level and fairly flat. You will be several thousand feet higher in elevation and walking up and down hills for an hour or more at a time. I would suggest three things:

1. Start training with a heavy pack walking on the flat at first and then climb the steps at your local high school stadium or stairwells where you work. You need to build the muscles you will be using out there, and you are probably not using the same set at home in Alabama. Oh, and even if you think it makes you look like a sissy, a set of good walking sticks is a good investment, especially if you are coming out heavier than you went in.

2. I have never used them, and don't know if they really work or not, but training with one of those altitude masks might help build up your lungs and help you absorb more oxygen in your blood.

3. Getting there 2-3 days before you will be actually hunting so that you can get acclimated to the elevation is something that most experienced backcountry hunters do, so it would be a use of your time to do the same. During those first days you can set up camp, get used to the terrain, and let your body get used to the elevation. Take things slow and easy, rest if you feel tired, and KEEP HYDRATED. You will be amazed at how much water you lose at altitude and how much that dehydration will affect you.

And of course, all the good advice you got above.

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Once you have an idea of the general area you want to hunt (sounds like you might already) order a National forest map and wilderness maps for that area. These will be invaluable when you are on the ground and no longer have internet access. You will be able to see all of the forest roads and trailheads. Then you will be able to see which maintained trails go through your area. Wilderness maps will show streams, lakes and even springs where you can get water- although in June you should be able to find water pretty easily anywhere. Don't be afraid to stick to the hiking trails especially as this is your first real backcountry wilderness hiking trip. You want to enjoy your time- bust ing brush in an unknown area isn't very fun. Set up camp at a small lake or somewhere that you know you would enjoy camping at even if you weren't hunting. Then just hike out each day from there. If you are in the middle of the wilderness you can hunt in any direction. Let the wind tell you which way you'll go that day. Or start at a high glassing point each morning and if you don't see anything, pick a different drainage or patch of forest to still hunt through each day.

Last edited:
I Dig the willow handle

Figure out a general starting area, like the game unit. Look up trail heads that are in the area - read hiker reports, sometimes they mention seeing bears or some feature that might attract bears.
Look up those trails on google earth and look them over with a fine tooth comb for areas you can glass for bears like avalanche chutes, but keep in mind things can look vastly different when you get there.
Sometimes calling the local ranger station can help because they csn tell you if X road is open or not and save you some heartburn
Pick a few spots to check out off each trail that are worth checking out for hunting or stealth camping.
Make a plan A,B,C in case trails or roads are closed when you get there.
Park at the trail head and start hiking until you locate your predetermined spots that you want to check out.
Wander around for a few days and try not to think about your truck at the trailhead.

After you get a spot figured and a game plan its just hunting and camping from then on out.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Get a Garmin inReach because this sounds like a potentially dangerous situation.

But seriously, every year in every hunting season I see hordes of non-resident hunters that had big backcountry hunting plans that are completely overwhelmed by the country and have resorted to driving around aimlessly. To avoid this I would have a long list of specific spots you want to hunt and then figure out the logistics from there.

OP
M

maddmartagan

Lil-Rokslider
Really appreciate the responses guys. Tons of good advice and I definitely think I have a better picture of how everything plays out. Sometimes you can get wrapped up in all of the gear/training/scouting/etc. that you forget about some of the more common/boring details.

Zrodco, I will definitely have a Garmin inReach or something similar. Would never take the backcountry lightly.

jdk81

FNG
Watch a few hundred YouTube videos on what other people bring in their packs to have a great idea of what you will need. Even after all of the gear research, you will forget things and realize you don't need half of the things you brought. Be as prepared as possible and you will refine after your hunt! If you had the ability to take a weekend scouting trip during the summer I believe it would help a ton. We've done in on an elk hunt before.

As far as the sleeping arrangements, we believe in getting as far away from ANY trails and vehicle access as you possibly can. Elk hunting we have seen many people truck camping or hunting directly off of the roads. If you can get back away from many of these people, pressure can be lower and that is always a good thing. We hunt out of the same camp, and move that camp if we so choose. We do not return to the vehicle until the end of the hunt. We live out of our packs for as long as we planned to hunt. '

We plan to drive out for every trip. We take a truck loaded with our gear and we are confident that truck can get us back into any mountain road situation that we may encounter. It would not be fun to have a plan spoiled because you can't get to your planned parking area. That being said, the advice here on having a few backup plans is great! We had to use backup plans on our first elk hunt, and it could have been disastrous without. Preparation is your best friend.

These are a few tips we have picked up from hours and hours of research. Be warned: you may get extremely addicted and plan many back country trips in the future. We are addicted to it and have planned 4 this year! It's amazing being able to get into true wilderness where most people cannot or choose not to go.

Good luck!