Where to bear hunt "near" Portland?

I'm an avid prey hunter, haven't given predator hunting a try yet. I know south west Oregon is good bear country but is too far of a drive. I was wondering what is a good unit that's sorta near Portland/ Salem.

You might try the coast and coastal range. The southern coast of Washington is thick with bear. Very brushy and is tough to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TraskI

Lil-Rokslider
From Portland you can head east, or west. I have seen plenty of Bear in the Cascades, and a lot of sing at the coast. In the fall find a place that has lots of berries and find a good spot to glass, or wait them out on a trail if it is to thick. Once the berries are gone I have seen them most often where a lot of mushrooms grow in old growth. I am no expert, and do not target bear, but this is where I have found them. I rarely saw bears until I started tree stand hunting. As soon as I started hanging out in a tree, I started seeing bears. In the Cascades I see more Bear than deer! I've had a chance to take a Bear almost every year within about 5 evening sits. I Hunt all around Portland, and in Eastern Oregon.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I might be new to this website, but I am curious what you found out? I have always wanted to give bear a run. But only recently have purchased a rifle. I know people do it, but I have been a muzzleloader hunter and am a little uneasy having only one shot.

I might be new to this website, but I am curious what you found out? I have always wanted to give bear a run. But only recently have purchased a rifle. I know people do it, but I have been a muzzleloader hunter and am a little uneasy having only one shot.
Born and raised in Oregon. Black bears everywhere, but for highest densities and close to Portland I would head to the coast. Lots of public land around Tillamook.