Spring Bear Timing Question

CiK01

WKR
My wife told me she has a need to be in Colorado from May 26th through June 1st. She is trying to lure me into combining my desire for a Montana spring bear hunt to the same timeframe instead of earlier.

I have never been on a bear hunt, but a few questions came to mind as I consider her offer. :)

1) Do bears have a "peak" time to hunt like elk in September or deer in November?
2) Is late May to early June too far into a bear season or does it not matter that much?

JohnnyB

WKR
Last year I went the last week of May and had a blast. Still a lot of snow high up but plenty of sign and opportunity. I am planning the same time frame this year. Good luck.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
The advantage would be the boar's could be starting to rut & roam more. The disadvantage would be they could be rubbed by then too.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Last week and a half of April, first two weeks of May seems to be where I always fill a tag. Last two bears I shot on April 27, kinda weird.

Mike.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
We bait in North Idaho and late May is our favorite time. Just seemed as you get closer to June there was always more bears showing up. Haven't done much in June as our season use to end the end of May.

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
We bait in North Idaho and late May is our favorite time. Just seemed as you get closer to June there was always more bears showing up. Haven't done much in June as our season use to end the end of May.
Same experience here. Late May is prime time for bear in my opinion.

I'd combine the trips for efficiency and ease. Talking to a bear bio in Idaho and hunting the last few years, I think prime time might be slightly earlier but l think the last week in May is really good too.

I've had a bear timing question in mind: when do you see bears start messing with elk calves? I'm always in look-for-greenup mode hunting bears in mid May but I've wondered.

Later may into june for me as well. As much as i always want it to pick up earlier, the first few weeks always seem slow.