Montana/Idaho Spring Bear

OP
J

jdk81

FNG
Thanks for the advice everyone! I believe we are planning on Idaho as of now, as it doesn't appear like the snow pack in Bozeman will be gone when we are looking to hunt. Northern Idaho looks great based on the opportunities that are there, but it doesn't seem like a great elk area, or not as good as a bit further south.

Another question, during mid May are bears going to be in the green areas around rivers or higher up in elevation? Trying to fine tune our location decision.

Thanks

MHWASH

WKR
Bears typically move up the mountain with green up and the corresponding snow melt. In my experience, it doesn't take much green for the bears to move up the mountain.

OP
J

jdk81

FNG
Bears typically move up the mountain with green up and the corresponding snow melt. In my experience, it doesn't take much green for the bears to move up the mountain.

Thanks for the advice!

OP
J

jdk81

FNG
Does anyone have much experience with bear numbers in Frank Church? I'm wondering if there are much opportunities for glassing and find8ng bears that way. Thanks!

I think it's a really hard hunt for spring bear. I have only heard of a couple people doing it--horse guys. Access is a major problem (snow and high peaks at all the access points) unless you get flown in and then it would require 2000+ feet of elevation gain to get to the bears usually. Densities aren't that high compared to unit 39, 1, 33, 43 etc. With the amount of country in there, it would be easy to go a few days without any sightings. They sell 2nd tags for the unit to try to get people to go in there (because it's hard) and they want to get the predator population nocked down for the elk. It's not because there's a lot of bears in there. Mostly, a wolf predation issue but they take all the dead predators they can get.

I would highly recommend looking elsewhere unless you have horses or want to fly in and want to hike your absolute tail off in steep country (trails won't have been maintained either) looking for a lesser amount of bears. But if you value solitude above all else, go for it. You've just got way better options in the main typical spring bear areas IMO and there's not a ton of pressure in there either. I like the Frank Church, btw, just a difficult time of year. PM me if you really just want to do a wilderness hunt and I can describe a few reasonable options.