Alaska Boat Based Hunt Recommendations

Bulldawg

WKR
I was wondering if you guys had any pointers that you could point me in for a reliable outfit that offers the large boat based hunts and rents skiffs that we go hunt on from there? Looking for a family hunt, that we can relax on the boat and do some hunting and fishing from.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
Black bear I’m assuming? This is gonna be $$$$ over a ground based place like Thorne bay or Coffman cove lodge which has skiffs and wheels.

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
Yeah black bear, I know it may be a bit more but I’d like to explore the options because of the experience. I know I’ve seen some once upon a time that were all diy but you stayed on a boat with a transporter

BRWNBR

WKR
There was Ninilchik charters in pws but I think the bear numbers there have dropped and it’s regulated a little tighter. South east alaska would be more ideal. I know several guides black bear hunts that do what your looking st but those are around 9k each. There’s probably someone out there.

I know a couple guys who have done Kodiak Combos for deer and fish. The guy has first rate boats including a new Radon and Ocean-sport.

I don’t know about black bears in their area, worth a call.

Book a Combo | Kodiak Combos the advertise and post on another forum called bloodydecks.com
One thing I will say is that hunting on the Alaska islands can be a b!tch. I boated into an island last season, it was 6 hours through hell to hike 2-miles and gain <1500’ elevation. Packing a deer out was worse, even though it was downhill.

Last edited:

AK_hunter

FNG
Parker Guide Services at Alaska Boat Hunts with Parker Guide Service is awesome. Did an early black bear hunt about 6 years ago with them. Amazing 60 ft boat. Have your own stateroom with head. Great food, beautiful landscape...just an amazing experience.

Unfortunately, I came home empty handed. Hunted first week of the season and the bears just weren’t awake yet. Stalked up on 1, but was rubbed out badly. I’ve been meaning to book another hunt with him. I might try spring of 2019.

300dakota

FNG
depends on how muck luxury you want..also how much you want to spend.for any boat based bear hunt black or brown bear dale adams is the one I would book with.there are others as mentioned and glacier guides would give the greatest opportunity on the largest black black bear due to the area they hunt them..if money is no option go with glacier guides and Alysia rosenbruch decker.me ill stick with dale save a couple grand and he is phenominal

A friend, his sons and his brother have booked a bear transport hunt with Ninilchik Charters. They asked me to join them and because there goods friends I agreed even though I already have a nice black bear and probably won’t take another. We will be around the Peninsula from Seldovia. Hunt is in May. Happy to report back if it would be helpful.

LaGriz

WKR
"Parker Guide Services at Alaska Boat Hunts with Parker Guide Service is awesome. Did an early black bear hunt about 6 years ago with them. Amazing 60 ft boat. Have your own stateroom with head. Great food, beautiful landscape...just an amazing experience.

Unfortunately, I came home empty handed. Hunted first week of the season and the bears just weren’t awake yet. Stalked up on 1, but was rubbed out badly. I’ve been meaning to book another hunt with him. I might try spring of 2019."

This speaks volumes, considering AK_Hunter did not get a bear and yet he still is looking forward to another trip with the same outfit!

Sounds like a great adventure. I have considered a "Boat Based Goat Hunt" as a retirement present to myself. I think one can combine this with a bear hunt for an extra fee. I'm sure this would be a fall hunt and not a spring time frame.

LaGriz

Dmartin88

FNG
A friend, his sons and his brother have booked a bear transport hunt with Ninilchik Charters. They asked me to join them and because there goods friends I agreed even though I already have a nice black bear and probably won’t take another. We will be around the Peninsula from Seldovia. Hunt is in May. Happy to report back if it would be helpful.

How did your bear hunt with Ninilchik Charters go? I am looking at booking a hunt in 2022. Thanks

MattB

WKR
You might try Homer Ocean Charters. A friend took his family out last year. He decided not to bear hunt too hard, but they slayed the fish.