POW Island Black Bear

DEHusker

WKR
Hi all...drew a POW Island Black Bear Tag for 2019. Anybody with any advice on....anything really? My first time to AK to hunt. I’ll be stoked for sure!
DEH

Capra74

FNG
Talk to Jason at Adventure Alaska SE. He can set you up with everything you need to have a great DIY bear hunt. I’ve done that hunt three times and really enjoyed it. Eat as much fresh Dungeness crab as you can! Jason’s website is www.huntorfish.com

bcbear3

FNG
There are places on POW that provide amenities depending on how much money you want to spend.
I have flown in with my tent and gear, rented a 4x4 in Craig and had successful hunts. Mountain house meals and backpack stove are great. Weather usually mild to on the wet side.
Take fishing pole and spinners as steelhead can be running in spring.
We had cell phone reception on camp site. No matter where you stay, put your time in hunting. You’ll enjoy it...
2bb63e04c800af22dd40f3f2a0619099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
DEHusker

DEHusker

WKR
Thanks for the tips guys. Where you able to butcher up your meat there and ship it back? How did you go about this little dilemma? I assume there is a way to get it all back (meat, pelt, skull) as well as a nice load of fish too...I'll be flying so this makes it a big tricky. Did you all float plane in, ferry, or what?

DEH

OP
DEHusker

DEHusker

WKR
Talk to Jason at Adventure Alaska SE. He can set you up with everything you need to have a great DIY bear hunt. I’ve done that hunt three times and really enjoyed it. Eat as much fresh Dungeness crab as you can! Jason’s website is www.huntorfish.com

Hey Capra, the link doesn't work...not sure if place is out of business???

Thanks for the tips guys. Where you able to butcher up your meat there and ship it back? How did you go about this little dilemma? I assume there is a way to get it all back (meat, pelt, skull) as well as a nice load of fish too...I'll be flying so this makes it a big tricky. Did you all float plane in, ferry, or what?

DEH

Fish Boxes or coolers and check it right with the airline. Alaska air has a lot of great information about brining trophies back on their website and are generally really friendly towards hunters flying back to the lower 48.

bcbear3

FNG
We carried hides and skulls carry on and donated our bear meat to locals. Fish boxes for meat would be extra checked baggage.
Ferry may only run once day in spring but float plane service in Ketchikan available.
I don’t think bear meat has to be salvaged in Alaska...

OP
DEHusker

DEHusker

WKR
I think, from my reading, that spring bear meat does have to be salvaged but fall bear does not have to be salvaged. I'll salvage it all to either keep a few choice cuts or all of it or donate some of it. I know a great bear shoulder ham recipe that's dynamite.

Does anyone know if I can shoot a wolf in the spring (May/June)? I see that there are a bunch of wolves on the island but I can't seem to find info about hunting them there.
We carried hides and skulls carry on and donated our bear meat to locals. Fish boxes for meat would be extra checked baggage.
Ferry may only run once day in spring but float plane service in Ketchikan available.
I don’t think bear meat has to be salvaged in Alaska...

BCbear3, great bear. Classic old school POW bear .

Note to DEHusker, lots of bears there are rubbed. You can see the bear BCBear killed has rubbed a bunch on it's head. If you see any "Orange" on a bear, those are rubbed areas or spots. Bears there are notorious for orange legs, paws, heads, ass ends etc. If you look at the bear above, he has a rubbed head, but his paws look good. Many of the bears there won't have fur on the paws. Some call it "Snow burn" others say it's from the brush, but regardless, you may have to look over a ton of bears if a good hide is what you want. I love hunting there, but the hides are about as bad as they get. Also note, many old boars will have a rubbed spot right down the middle of their heads. It will look like a stripe. Many times this will let you know what you're looking at vs. a sow.

Have fun, I'll be up there as well. Take care.

OP
DEHusker

DEHusker

WKR
BCbear3, great bear. Classic old school POW bear .

Note to DEHusker, lots of bears there are rubbed. You can see the bear BCBear killed has rubbed a bunch on it's head. If you see any "Orange" on a bear, those are rubbed areas or spots. Bears there are notorious for orange legs, paws, heads, ass ends etc. If you look at the bear above, he has a rubbed head, but his paws look good. Many of the bears there won't have fur on the paws. Some call it "Snow burn" others say it's from the brush, but regardless, you may have to look over a ton of bears if a good hide is what you want. I love hunting there, but the hides are about as bad as they get. Also note, many old boars will have a rubbed spot right down the middle of their heads. It will look like a stripe. Many times this will let you know what you're looking at vs. a sow.

Have fun, I'll be up there as well. Take care.

EXCELLENT advice, Coveyleader...had no idea the bears up there were known for their "striping...." LOL. I'll be on the lookout for the big ones with brown head stripes. Can't wait. Will be fishing and crabbing too. I have a feeling I'll be opening Pandora's box with the AK itch finally being scratched. Next, sitka blacktails. Someday, Dall, caribou, and moose.

Goes without saying I'll need good rainwear, weatherproof rifle, etc. Are hip waders a good item to bring? I assume so. Are leather boots even a good idea to pack? Are the bugs reasonable in Mid-May to late May? Thanks again,
DEH

The bugs are really a non issue. Maybe carry a small can of bug spray just in case, but I've never had issues with bugs in the spring. As for the boots, I just brig a set of rubber boots like lacrosse or muck boots and just live in those. Saves weight on the plane, and anywhere off the roads will be black muck and you'll be over your hikers pretty quick. I've used hip boots and waders, and either will work. Neoprene are nice when it's cold in a boat, but I think hip boots would be fine in general but that's only if your hunting from a skiff. If not, I'd just go rubber boots and call it a day.

bcbear3

FNG
My bear had been shot in the forehead by100 grain muzzy broadhead and about 8 “ of carbon shaft buried in neck about an inch from spine. Broadhead was starting to deteriate, I called it the ted nugent bear.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Salvage for black bears
Meat: In all areas of the state during
Jan 1-May 31, edible meat must be
salvaged and removed from the field. This
meat may not be used for pet food or bait.

Wolf
• Hides must be sealed within 30 days of kill.
Five wolves
Dec 1-Mar 31

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
me and my hunting buddy also drew and will hopfully be driving up from mt and seattle. any and all info is appreciated thanks

me and my hunting buddy also drew and will hopfully be driving up from mt and seattle. any and all info is appreciated thanks

You guys are so close you can get our bait stations set! Good luck. My plan as always, hunt the beaches, but put a bait station in as a secondary option.