Fox Creek Alberta Black Bear Hunt

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Will be heading up to Northern Alberta for spot and stalk black bear hunt in May. Never hunted bear before. What must haves should i bring with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twunt

FNG
Rubber boots, bug spray. Good set of binos.

I've hunted that way a fair bit. Good luck. Pipelines green up soonest. Most activity in evening.

Good luck. And fair bit of grizz up that way as well.

skierhs

WKR
Are you hunting with hounds,baits, or spot and stalk? Each style will need a diffrent set of gear.

Hunted moose there last fall, saw more grizzly that blacks!!
We had a couple trail cams up there for the summer and lots of grizzly picts. We saw three in a week of moose hunting and the other group saw a sow with a couple cubs a few times.

Nice country, lots of roads and cuts and can get busy with oil and gas activity, watch the roads!!

Good luck

Cheers

SS

OP
Pk_in_Dallas

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
This will be spot and stalk. Said it could be really cold or mildly warm. Hopefully Alberta will open up Grizzly hunting soon.

skierhs

WKR
good glass with a tripod, a thin foam seat cusin are two of my big things for a hunt like that. Some sort of sheep tarp would be a bonus as well to help protect you from the elements. Is this a DIY or guided hunt? that will affect what i would bring as well.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Spent 20 yrs hunting out there in Fox Creek / Whitecourt area, grew up in the area. If you are there in May/June it won't be that cold but I may be just used to it. It will be above freezing anyway lol. I'm assuming its going to be a pile of driving the forestry/oil field roads and glassing the cut blocks and pipeline rightaways and once a good bear is spotted the stalk will be on. Shot me a PM and I can give you the low down on the area and Gear needed. I could even point you in the right direction for the creeks to fish while there.

OP
Pk_in_Dallas

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Spent 20 yrs hunting out there in Fox Creek / Whitecourt area, grew up in the area. If you are there in May/June it won't be that cold but I may be just used to it. It will be above freezing anyway lol. I'm assuming its going to be a pile of driving the forestry/oil field roads and glassing the cut blocks and pipeline rightaways and once a good bear is spotted the stalk will be on. Shot me a PM and I can give you the low down on the area and Gear needed. I could even point you in the right direction for the creeks to fish while there.

Thanks but I have a buddy that lives there and knows a few honey holes.

I shot my best bear not far from Fox Creek (it made B&C) - it's a good area! I'd say optics are key, and a set of SneekTek boots or heavy wool socks for when slipping off your boots to close the distance. (unless you're rifle hunting, then disregard the second). Bugs seem to be the worst as soon as you have a bear down and have to deal with it. I usually pack a termacell for that as well - easier skinning when your not swatting bugs off your face every few seconds... Other than that, it's a pretty standard area - lots of bush roads, pipelines, gas plants, etc.