Idaho Logging Roads (Navigation & Rules)

I'm planning another spot and stalk bear hunt for the first week of May in northern Idaho. I've hunted Idaho a lot but not as far north as this trip is planned for. While studying Google Earth, it looks like the entire mountain is covered in roads but closer inspection makes it look like they are closed logging roads. Is this generally correct? If so, what rules apply to these roads? Are dirt bikes allowed on them or only pedal bikes?

Randle

WKR
There are a lot of roads with limitation signs posted on them . The best way might be to contact forest service for the area. They should have travel plan maps available.

nidaho

FNG
depends on the gate, is it company gates or forest service gates, I would say any gate that is closed is only open to foot and bike travel. I would get a map from the forest service and it will tell you the closer dates and limitation. if it is a company gate there will most likely be four wheelers on them. even if the gate say other wise. there was lots of snow this year some of the roads might be snowed in so foot travel will be the only way in anyways.

Go to the Website for the specific national forest in that area and you should be able to find their Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM). These will show you which roads and trails are open for each mode of transportation. Most of the logging roads will not appear on these maps because they are temporary while logging and are often left to be reclaimed by the forest. If the logging road is on USFS land they are generally closed to motorized travel. If they are on private timber lands then you must follow the rules of the timber company as far as public access and vehicle use. Find out which company owns the land and if they allow access for free or for a fee and what their rules are.