Wyoming proposed grizzly hunts

BishopB7

FNG
Haven't seen much on this topic on the forums, or Im not searching hard enough, but what are you guys thinking as far as this price tag goes? $6k NR $600 resident. Reasonable? 6 out of 24 tags set aside for NR. I know the hunt is still just a possibility, but it seems like it is gathering more and more steam. Thoughts? Hopefully link works.

Wyoming proposes grizzly bear hunt regulations | goHUNT

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a ton of money but cheap compared to other available grizzly hunts. It's the special tag price that'll raise a eyebrow or two.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
$6000 + $4000 for an outfitter......... $10000. Sounds like the going price for a grizz hunt.

The reason that I say a NR tag + an outfitter, is that most of the areas discussed are wilderness and Wyoming requires a NR to have a guide when hunting in any wilderness area.

Definitely time for a hunt in Wyoming. Just hate to see it be so expensive that Joe hunter won't be able to participate.

I'm hearing there are plenty of bears outside the WA area up there. As stated in the release, the secondary area sounds like its in low ranch country.

NR hunting prices for certain species has never been available to "Joe Hunter" so I don't see the issue here. It's a glamour species, residents of the state as always will have it good. If you're a NR, just like back in the "Good old days" if you want to hunt out of state for a sheep, goat, etc, plan to pay up. This hunt is no different.

Trial153

WKR
As a non resident if i dump 6k into a tag and the unit i am assigned to has any significant amount of Wilderness area then in am procuring an outfitter. In for a dime i might as well be in for a dollar.

FLAK

WKR
Very tightly controlled hunt. I need to read it again but sounds like you
could get screwed out of 6k if the quota fills before you kill.

OP
BishopB7

BishopB7

FNG
Yeah I definitely agree that most NR tags these days are on an impressive incline. I hear a lot of differing opinions as far as it being a reasonable price vs. being an outrageous price. I also think that this being such a monumental hunt (in my opinion) this will be Wyoming's experiment to gauge what they can get away with charging for grizzly tags. Like you guys have said, add an outfitter and you're in minimum 10k. FLAK makes a good point about paying the 6k and taking the chance of having your hunt cut short by the filled tag quota. Going to be interesting what comes of this hunt if it makes it all the way.

BRWNBR

WKR
Don’t get caught up in something being to exspensive that we all can’t do it. It’s all relative. I wanna go on a honeymoon but can’t afford it. That’s ok. I want a super cub but can’t afford it. That’s ok. I wanna hunt an elephant but can’t afford it. That’s ok.
The world doesn’t need to be set up so we can all afford to do everything. If I want a 6k grizz tag then I’ll have To save money, prioritize my spending and make it happen, or I won’t. Same with any other purchase in life.

mt100gr.

WKR
Don’t get caught up in something being to exspensive that we all can’t do it. It’s all relative. I wanna go on a honeymoon but can’t afford it. That’s ok. I want a super cub but can’t afford it. That’s ok. I wanna hunt an elephant but can’t afford it. That’s ok.
The world doesn’t need to be set up so we can all afford to do everything. If I want a 6k grizz tag then I’ll have To save money, prioritize my spending and make it happen, or I won’t. Same with any other purchase in life.

Well said. It's like I tell my kids, "the fair is in August"

Hopefully a bunch of MT grizzlies take a walkabout into WY around opening day!!

There is still a lot that will need to be worked out with this hunt. I’m encouraged to see Wyoming at least working on a hunt option. I’ve yet to see anything from my home state of idaho yet. And IIRC Montana isn’t putting anything out for this year either. To be honest I’m just glad that hunting grizzlies in the lower 48 is going to potentially be an option again. A grizzly bear is my number one bucket list hunt. As far as the cost, it is steep, but my guess is there will be plenty of non-residents willing to fork over the money. Plus it’s a unique situation, there hasn’t been a grizzly hunt in WY/ID/MT for decades. It’s unfortunate that the cost may be prohibitively high, but if it all works out I’ll be saving my pennies and putting in for tags.

OP
BishopB7

BishopB7

FNG
There is still a lot that will need to be worked out with this hunt. I’m encouraged to see Wyoming at least working on a hunt option. I’ve yet to see anything from my home state of idaho yet. And IIRC Montana isn’t putting anything out for this year either. To be honest I’m just glad that hunting grizzlies in the lower 48 is going to potentially be an option again. A grizzly bear is my number one bucket list hunt. As far as the cost, it is steep, but my guess is there will be plenty of non-residents willing to fork over the money. Plus it’s a unique situation, there hasn’t been a grizzly hunt in WY/ID/MT for decades. It’s unfortunate that the cost may be prohibitively high, but if it all works out I’ll be saving my pennies and putting in for tags.

Im really excited that this could in fact happen in the lower 48 as well. Hopefully some of the other states follow suit too, or at least start thinking about it. Coming into an era where it seems that the support for hunting is starting to decline, its awesome to see this kind of progress in conservation being made. Huge steps.

All 24 tags should be in an open lottery. Sell X amount of tickets for X amount of $$ each ticket to attain the amount of money desired by the authorities. Everyone has an equal opportunity to win and the state authorities get the money they need. Enough with discriminating against NR hunters to the extent it happens.