Spring scouting

Looking at possibly hunting public land northern mn black bear hunt this fall. The question is what do you look for in the spring and summer for a fall hunt? Food, cover, water, old dens? Anything will help!

AKAL

FNG
Looking into getting into MN bear hunting as well. I am from Detroit Lakes and will be hunting a tad North of there straight east of Itasca a few miles. Looking at the information I have, in September look for swamps and thick cool vegetated areas. Beings they are "black" bears they tend to get hot fast so like shade and cooler areas. They tend to move great distances this time of year from what I have read as well. I am focusing on berry patches such as raspberries and also along beaver dams (apparently beavers are a favorite meal for the bears in my area). If there are oaks in the area they really mow down on mast crops like this. Their main focus is food and a lot of it this time of year which is why baiting works so well. Do you plan to bait? I am on the fence about it, we have plenty of big boars in our area and would like to hunt the clear cuts for them with no bait but everyone keeps telling me you'd have a better chance of successfully hunting sasquatch than hunt bear in the thick woods without bait haha.

OP
skyler_2010
I am planning on baiting since this will be my first bear hunt ever. I want to spot and stalk in the coming years but I just don't know enough about them yet and everyone that I talk to is pretty tight lipped about what to look for in my area. It will be an adventure either way tho!

AKAL

FNG
For sure, I am trying to figure if I want to do bait or if I just want to see if I can stumble across one haha. Good luck this year on your endeavors!