Kodiak Bear Hunting - when to book?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
All:

I'd like to go to Kodiak and bear hunt. How far in advance do you need to book to get most desirable dates and outfitter?

For example the NWT folks book 3 years in advance....

THank you
EtR

BRWNBR

WKR
It all depends on the outfitter. The best way to get this information is to call an outfitter. But since I am one I can tell you I am booked into 2020/21 for my Kodiak bear. I’m sure some guys are booked farther as a few areas only have three or four tags a year.
Spring is best, if you go for the fall, go for the opener. Bear activity realllllyyyy slows down after the first of November. I typically won’t book fall Kodiak bear hunts because I don’t think they are worth the money guys are asking. Some areas may have a late run of silvers that ups the quality of their fall hunts but the areas I’ve worked the fall has been disappointing. I just let me Deer hunters apply for bear tags too. Funner that way anyway.
Sometimes you can scoop up a Cancelation hunt, but the list of people wanting a cheap Kodiak bear hunt is fairly long. Lol

My advice would be to narrow down the location on Kodiak you want to hunt by looking at harvest stats and average skull size. Some areas consistently produce better bears than others. Yeah, I know, a big bear can be found in any unit there, but some areas are much better. Then, once that is decided, book with the outfitter for that area.

If you don't want to wait several years, assuming it's as booked up as Jake's, then head to the Peninsula as it's open each year (alternating spring and fall) without tag limits. Some great options over there as well.

My experience with hunting fall bears on Kodiak is a bit different than most in that I had a great tag for an area with lots of bears. We saw over 100 bears in our 15 day fall hunt. They were everywhere. Do your homework and go with the best, it's a lot of money for a NR to invest only to end up going with a subpar outfitter and don't kid yourself, they certainly exist. I am headed down this fall to hunt the Aliulik pen on the southern end of Kodiak, another dream permit and I have a feeling it'll live up to it's hype.

I don't believe there is a comparable hunt on on the planet (maybe DG in Africa) that can give you the adrenaline rush that hunting brown bears does. Hunting them and getting close gives me the "buck fever" (though controllable) like I haven't felt since I was in my teens. There is nothing like it... Good luck with your research and best of luck when you go.

Typically, 2 years is plenty of time; however, some outfitters will book further out. I work with a great outfitter who has several options for bears. Call me or email me if you would like some details.
Mark Harrington
325-276-1414
[email protected]
fulltimehunts.com

keller

WKR
my advice is whatever is comfortable for you. can you go with a few weeks notice?or would you be stressed out. do you have the clothing/equipment needed for this hunt?rain and wind are the norm day after day 1 nice day for every three rainy days.you can book 2 years out and be comfortable. not uncommon or take a chance and try to scoop up a last minute or cancellation deal which may or may not be a get what you pay for deal.i personally would go spring more daylight possibly better weather.always talk to references.they have been their done that.i did this hunt 2 years ago spring 2016.it was a 20 year dream of mine #1 on my bucketlist finally had the money saved up.it was very difficult to trust someone to spend the money with that you've never met.i had a bad feeling with some outfitters and then a god feeling with the last one so I puled the trigger and booked it 6 months out.my only regret is that I didn't spend a lot of time hunting because I killed a big beautiful bear the first day at 15 yds you want to talk about adrenaline wow nothing in my hunting career will compare to that.
good luck john

Beendare

WKR
Seems to me I see these cancellations fairly regular...guys chickening out?

Get a better deal that way too....

BTW, I saw the biggest brownie I've ever seen on S Kodiak 2 years ago....and absolute giant. They are still there.....

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted mountain goats near the south end of the island two years ago during the latter part of October, and we saw at least twenty bears working the shore for fish. I've also hunted goats on the NE part of the island in September, and bears were all over the place chasing fish. Did a December hunt for deer on the SW side and didn't see a single bear...except one that was at the village dump eating a baby diaper!

BRWNBR

WKR
I was doing goat last year north end. We’d go look at the river for fun. First week of oct we would see about 14 bears at a time. Second week of oct about 6-8 bears. Third week of October they were off the river and up by our tent. Then bear season opens. Kodiak fall season is set up late just because of that.