Identification of sow with cubs

Rheron

FNG
hello gang. Other than physically seeing the cubs with mom is there any other indications that a sow might have cubs? I have heard about listening for scurrying in trees nearby. Is there anything else that might be observed to indicate a sow does indeed have cubs yet they may just be quite a ways out of sight/earshot? Thanks

Bare spots around her nipples is usually the easiest visual evidence; but just an indicator and not an end all. I would be confident if she was alone for 15+ minutes and there isn't evidence of rubbed nipples. If her cubs are so old that they are not nursing, they are usually very active and not that far behind.

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve watched sow bears feed in the open for hours with their cubs just off in the brush, then scoop them up when they head back to the edge of the open. Typically if a bear feeds and don’t travel much and keeps looking in the same direction I start to suspect something.

I'm with BRWNBR on this one. I've watched a sow feed for 3+ hours without seeing the cubs, then they appear from a nap or whatever. The best way I've found to not kill a sow with cubs is to learn to identify sows from physical characteristics and just don't shoot them. Small, beady eyes, large rump, small shoulders, etc. Nothing worse than killing a wet sow.

OP
Rheron

Rheron

FNG
Appreciate the responses. I’m specifically targeting Black Bear, I assume your reply’s apply for them. Have any of you noticed a difference between the bear species? As in do Black Bear cub/sow behavior differ from Grizzly cub/sow behavior? Forgive my ignorance here I’m just trying to learn as much as I can

BRWNBR

WKR
Grizzly cubs seem more fearless and black bear cubs seem more like a kitten. I’ve seen grizzly cubs venture a long way from mom just doing their own thing but I don’t recall seeing black bear cubs do that. Also had yearling grizzlies come over to check out my Sheep camp even with me yelling and waving my arms, very curious with no fear. Mom was running the other direction, just left those cubs there with me. Lol where I work at least, we have black and Grizz all in the same place. I’ve seen black bears run grizzlies off a blue berry patch, had black bears come up and watch me skinning Grizz etc. but the black bears here act like they aren’t on top of the food chain. Where the grizzly does act that way. That’s about the simplest way to describe the difference in their behavior where I am.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Jake is sharing some excellent observations.

I've only hunted black bear up here, which I have done every spring for quite a few years. My hunts are spot and stalk on the hillsides and snow-slides before the brush leafs-out. The sow/cub combinations I've seen so far have been (for the most part) pretty clear. Just watch the sow for a bit and don't be in too much of a hurry. The first year cubs are usually very close, although they are pretty tiny and may be hard to see in the topography, but if you watch for a bit they usually show. The second years seem to move around more and have been more visible in my experience. A few times the only clue I had was that the sow was continually looking back in the same direction and not moving far...as was already shared...and then a cub appeared.

Just take your time...