skinning for a rug

seaner9er

FNG
So last year I blew a stock on my first bear hunt but this year i am determined to make it happen. I have seen some how to videos an read a few articles about skinning for a rug to ensure that it is some what symmetrical and not too butchered but none of the videos show a step by step. they all seem very general. I might be overthinking it but want to make sure it is done right. Any links or how to articles would be appreciated.

Honestly one of the best sources I have found is go pay a visit to the taxidermist that you are planning to use and he will walk you thru it.

BRWNBR

WKR
Heel to butt hole on hind legs.
Palm to sternum on the fronts.
Throat to sternum to butt hole on your long cut. Just make straight knife cuts.

To build that confidence go talk to that taxidermist. It’s pretty simple.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
The above video is very good. My only critique would be to use gloves on bears.

He points out the biggest mistake guys make and that is leaving too much hide "to the front" when doing your front cut. You want to make your cuts so more hide ends up in the arm pit than you think should. Most people don't realize this, but rugs are sewn/trimmed in the armpit and flank areas. When you get that hide back in there, the ruggers have a lot to work with. If you kick it forward, it just gets trimmed and thrown out.

His back cut is also a great recommendation, but pay attention to your symmetry. It is much easier to keep symmetry if you go directly from heel to butt, however his cut is ideal. Another way to achieve what he is going for (more hide at bottom of rug) is to cut 2-3" below (towards belly button, not tail) the anus, not right up to it.

If I know the bear is going to be a rug, I'll cut right through the middle of the pads. They get pulled off anyways.

I've skinned a ton of bears and it does take practice to get it right. Don't worry too much as the ruggers can fix a lot. A lot of those fixes go unnoticed in the finished product, but the end result is a smaller rug. There is a fair amount of miseducation on this topic, because the ruggers can rarely give feedback to hunters/guides on how the hide showed up (most taxis send out rugs, so you will never even talk to the guys doing the work). There are guys that have skinned five of the rugs on their wall, and they still have no idea they do it incorrectly.

Last edited: