1st Idaho Bear Hunt - Unit 1

Lebeda33

FNG
Hi everyone,

I am planning my first DIY spot and stalk Black Bear hunt in Unit 1 in Idaho. I live in Lewiston, Idaho so it's a little drive for me to get up there to scout. I'm an experienced hunter but I haven't had an opportunity to hunt Black Bears before.

What are the current snow conditions around the Priest Lake and Bonners Ferry area?

Are there bears this time of year (late April to early May) at lower elevations (2500 - 3500 feet) or is it still too early? I was in the Priest Lake area last fall and I remember seeing quite a few clear cuts along the road on the East side of the lake that I assume would have little to no snow in late April.

What drainages are best for spot and stalk opportunities and are there any areas to avoid (e.g. too much human activity, low bear density)? I am not looking for someone's hunting spot, just some general information to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

Cheers,
Dalton

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
If you come up to Priest Lake I would wait till early May at least. The snow is melting fast but many of the spots I go are still covered in snow.

coop2424

WKR
I agree with Jesse. I always want to get out and about looking for bears and I am always way to early. I probably won’t head up that way tell mid may at least to look for bears.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I am also heading to unit 1 in a few weeks to do some bear hunting. I'm getting pretty excited, just not looking forward to a 30 hour drive from Saint Louis. Best of luck!

kct802

FNG
Hey guys,
I know this is an old thread but maybe some of you still see it.
I am looking to hit far north Idaho this year for a late April/ early may time frame. I know its early but it is my only opportunity. I appreciate any insight you may have gained

Hey guys,
I know this is an old thread but maybe some of you still see it.
I am looking to hit far north Idaho this year for a late April/ early may time frame. I know its early but it is my only opportunity. I appreciate any insight you may have gained
Same as you KCT. My Washington mule deer hunt was cancelled due to wildfires so I rebooked by flight and had to return by May 8. Looking anywhere from the panhandle to the Salmon region, trying to figure out what road access is like the first week of May.

kct802

FNG
@Jsprouls.
Im driving up, mix between camping and staying in Air BNB feel free to hit me up if you are going to be in the Panhandle. Misery loves company. If nothing else lets grab a beer.

That goes for anyone hunting the Panhandle in early May. It will be a lot more fun to get some boys together than to rough it alone, and if you shoot a bruiser its nice to have a couple of extra backs. PM me or hit me back on the thread.