Bear hunt reports

carter33

WKR
Slow here on the Kenai peninsula in AK. Seeing activity pick up more everyday though. Buddy and I checked bait yesterday and nothing yet. Really expecting it to turn on within the next week, the first week of May has been the historical turn on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope it picks up soon, I’ll be heading down to Valdez for a spot n stalk hunt in PWS this Sunday. Weather forecast looks a little rough though.

JLH208

WKR
Checking bait this afternoon in Idaho. Set at 6800 feet, no snow. I’ll post up late tonight or tomorrow

Last edited:
Hope it picks up soon, I’ll be heading down to Valdez for a spot n stalk hunt in PWS this Sunday. Weather forecast looks a little rough though.

They’re awake. Especially around PWS. I would limit my worries to weather; I’ve seen more ravn flights to valdez cancelled than any other place.

carter33

WKR
They’re awake. Especially around PWS. I would limit my worries to weather; I’ve seen more ravn flights to valdez cancelled than any other place.

Thanks for the info, that is reassuring. Luckily we are driving down from Fairbanks then taking a water taxi to a bay with a small boat/kicker motor to get around. Looks like we may still have to contend with some low visibility though, we will have 5-6 days though so can hopefully get some breaks and make it happen.

Thanks for the info, that is reassuring. Luckily we are driving down from Fairbanks then taking a water taxi to a bay with a small boat/kicker motor to get around. Looks like we may still have to contend with some low visibility though, we will have 5-6 days though so can hopefully get some breaks and make it happen.

I wouldn’t worry at all. My buddy and I were just talking last night, the bears have first hit bait on cinco de mayo the last two years here on the peninsula. PWS is for sure gonna be a couple weeks earlier than we will be.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Bear hunting in Idaho doesn’t seem to get good till around the 10 of May.

JLH208

WKR
Bear hunting in Idaho doesn’t seem to get good till around the 10 of May.

Last 2 years we had maybe 3 bears show up at the beginning of May, first bear at end of April but from what I keep hearing I shouldn’t be surprised to not see bears yet. I had a good feeling about this evening but just got back home from checking bait and no sign of bears anywhere. Neighboring baits haven’t been hit either. Lots of wolf sign, but wolves were in there last year too and didn’t seem to affect bears. Next trip will be on the 11th. Out of curiosity, what elevations are dens usually at? Are we waiting for the bears to move down? Or just move around in general? Bait is at 6800 feet.

OP
B
Just got home from hunting. Both baits were hit, just once apeice. Missed seeing one of the bears by about an hour. They didn't eat much, but that's to be expected this time of year. Saw one really nice bear in a high basin in Central Idaho, shiny cinnamon color. Couldn't ever get close to him though. It's getting better by the day.

NickID

FNG
Made it out for a couple days in central ID this last week. Did not spot any bears but ran across fresh scat and sign at 6200. The sign was low in creek bottom areas.

Auckland

FNG
Looks like the warm weather is bringing some bears out in the Blues, we had a good weekend, seen 4 bears, just couldn't seal the deal on any of them. Gotta love the cold mornings and sunny warm days to bring out all the animals with new bone growth! Good luck to all the tag holders!

541hunter

WKR
Saw my first big boar of the season yesterday evening here in Southwest Oregon. Spotted him at just under 1k yards about 300 ft from a timberline. I was unable to close the distance before he fed into the timber.

Saturday we got a couple baits out at 6400ish feet. LOTS of snow in our area at that elevation. Last year we saw a few sets of tracks in the snow at this time. This year there were no tracks. In another area, between 4-5k elevation, glassed up several bears.

frankrb3

WKR
Was out yesterday. Saw a grizzly sow with two cubs and another grizzly by itself. No black bears. This is in south west Montana.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Found a freshly peeled fir 4 feet from a trail camera we set up and got the bear on camera... kind of... until he pulled it off of the tree. At least I know that they're up and moving. Time to start putting in more time and effort!

MHWASH

WKR
Spent 5 days in the Idaho wilderness last week. Spotted 7 bears, but they were either too far, or got into cover too quick. Unfortunately we missed two wolves within easy shooting distance. I will NEVER attempt to shoot two separate animals at the same time ever again. I may have screwed up my only chance at a wolf for who knows how long.

DonPablo

FNG
Spent 5 days in the Idaho wilderness last week. Spotted 7 bears, but they were either too far, or got into cover too quick. Unfortunately we missed two wolves within easy shooting distance. I will NEVER attempt to shoot two separate animals at the same time ever again. I may have screwed up my only chance at a wolf for who knows how long.

Do you mean you won't ever hunt more than one species at a time? Man, share the story. I'm just salivating at the thought of shooting a wolf! Just having the opportunity makes you a winner.

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
I was out this last Friday night and Saturday, No luck but did cross a Grizzly track and then found him 300 yards ahead. He was none happy I was there. I am in northwest Wyoming.

Attachments

• DSC_4861.jpg
    DSC_4861.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 142