idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Killed this guy Friday evening in southwestern idaho. Squares 6' 10"
3e10401a6b1aacbd5203f2f57b462ab6.jpg
6fc1962a098805fef2de5b2f58210e0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BCSteel

FNG
Here we go, now this thread is going places! Nice bears guys!

I'm headed out after work tomorrow for 2 and a half days, hoping to come back with pics of my own.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
One more tortuous week at the office before I hop on a plane to NW MT. On a positive note, I received a shipping notice on my new Kifaru pack today. Hopefully it is carrying a bear next week.

Keep the pics and snow reports coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Good looking bears. I'm still in search for mine, I seem to find their cousins.

Attachments

• DSC_4822.jpg
    DSC_4822.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 136

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Little update on this guy. Took him to fish and game today. They think he is a minimum of 15 years old and most likely in his twenties! Pretty excited for them to get the lab age back and find out for sure. Unfortunately that part will take about a year.
Killed this guy Friday evening in southwestern idaho. Squares 6' 10"
3e10401a6b1aacbd5203f2f57b462ab6.jpg
6fc1962a098805fef2de5b2f58210e0c.jpg

BCSteel

FNG
Left after work on Monday to the mountains. Looked around a bit, saw some fresh tracks and while looking for a spot to sleep, saw a sow with 3 cubs. Ended up sleeping in the back of my car. FYI, if you're 6'2", you won't fit in the back of a Subaru WRX.

Next morning I glassed some logged areas that looked promising but came up empty. Changed areas and hiked a power line. No bear sign at all and missed an opportunity at a wolf at 80 metres because my gun was in my pack instead of in my hands. Blasting hot and I took refuge in the forest while waiting for evening. Bailed on the pipeline after hiking about 15 km of it and started pedaling instead. Found a great gated road and decided to check it out the next morning.

3am I get woken up by something very close to my tarp and very pissed off, snorting for about 10 minutes as it circled my camp. I slept in the car until daylight. Mountain bike time. Did about 25 km round trip. Saw elk, whitetails and mule deer but no bears.

Maybe next time.
3a916e16043ce925e868750c46384c22.jpg
027df18ca8a1ea669eb858f0fe09a59b.jpg
0c932da2400cedb7411e872b8cb395eb.jpg
b91f20c5f1062018e1c8d501080d7a6f.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Idaho muleys, great bear man. That thing is a real trophy. Good to see someone savvy enough to kill an old smart one like that. What type of taxidermy are you planning for him?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Doing a rug. Dropped him off at the taxidermist immediately after leaving fish and game, too excited to let him sit in the freezer!

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
All this bear talk is getting me excited to head out tonight! Here around Lewiston, ID they've been hitting my bait pretty steady. Nothing worth braggin about yet (that could change tonight when I check my cams), but a bear is a bear!

idahoman

FNG
All this bear talk is getting me excited to head out tonight! Here around Lewiston, ID they've been hitting my bait pretty steady. Nothing worth braggin about yet (that could change tonight when I check my cams), but a bear is a bear!

Anything good?

Spring is an exciting time of year! It has been a busy application season; however, I managed to slip away from May 4-11 for a black bear hunt in BC. I went to vet an outfitter up there that I am very pleased to announce runs an excellent operation and will be a great offering for Full.Time.Hunts. clients.

My Story:
Upon arrival to Vancouver, I was picked up at the airport. We grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed to bear camp which is a 3.5-4 hour drive. Once we arrived at camp, I was shown to my tent. I had my personal 8' x 12' canvas tent, complete with a wood floor and wood burning stove. The tent was amazingly clean and spacious... all I had to do was unroll my sleeping bag and quickly fall asleep. The sound of the river 30 feet from my tent made sleeping easy. I awoke at 7:30 the next morning to a fresh pot of coffee and the smell of sausage on the grill. As I explored the rest of camp, I was pleasantly surprised to find an outdoor shower, a homemade refrigerator box over the river, a complete outdoor kitchen, and comfortable chairs around a constantly burning fire pit. Morning in camp was very relaxing.
Around 11:00 we loaded our packs, grabbed our rifles and headed out on a quad in search of a big bear. The forest here in BC are so thick that hunting would be near impossible if it were not for logging roads and clear cuts. The 1 and 2 year old clear cuts are the first areas to green up in the Spring. Because of this, the bear hammer the new growth. We hunted all afternoon checking the clear cuts and saw a few smaller bear. We did see one good bear but the wind was wrong for a stalk.
That evening, we sat up on a 2 year old clear cut that was filled with bear food. As we sat overlooking this cut, I watched a sow and cup feed their way across the cut. About an hour later, I saw a bear... upon glassing him at 400 yards, we headed in for a closer look. At 300 yards, there was a dirt bank that made a great shooting rest. The bear was feeding towards us and my plan was to let him feed as close as he would prior to shooting. I watched him feed for awhile and we decided that he was a 6.5' mature bear. He was fat, had a great hide with no blemishes, and was jet black (which was the color phase that I was hoping for). He never did feed closer to us; in fact, he turned to leave. I quickly ranged him at 326 yards, put the cross hairs behind his right shoulder, and squeezed off a shot. I had chosen to use a 280 Ackley Improved loaded with 150 grain Barnes TTSX. The bullet entered exactly where I had aimed and exited where the left shoulder meets the neck. The bear did not take another step!
We took photos and skinned out the bear and made it back to camp just prior to dark. Dinner was fantastic with Moose Lasagna and garlic bread. We spent the next day salting the hide and boning out the meat. I was done on the first day. I spent the rest of the week scouting with the outfitter for his next group of hunters. We encountered several really good bears between 6-7' and found a really old bear on the last evening that I was there that would be over 7'.View attachment 72171View attachment 72172View attachment 72173View attachment 72174

OP
B
I spent last Thursday afternoon filling baits and checking cameras. Activity slowed considerably for me, not sure why. Sat one bait Friday morning, hiked in the afternoon, sat again Friday night. Didn't see any bears. Something changed, just not sure what.