Bear hunt reports

NickID

FNG
Harvested my first Idaho bear this weekend. Was lucky to spot it in the creek bottom and catch up to it after the spot for harvest. The spring season has been a fun to get out for hiking and scouting the area further.
a6f44e47d1c6940bad24deb54dd59759.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Saw four bears yesterday. None today. Started to see more sign today while walking roads. Attacked by ticks. Love spring bear and love Coming to Montana.

DonPablo

FNG
Harvested my first Idaho bear this weekend. Was lucky to spot it in the creek bottom and catch up to it after the spot for harvest. The spring season has been a fun to get out for hiking and scouting the area further.
a6f44e47d1c6940bad24deb54dd59759.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome bear! Can't wait to get there (Idaho) and try for one myself. I'll be flying blind but any time in the woods is good time.

DonPablo

FNG
I’m thinking about trying the Bitterroot National Forest when I head to Idaho for bears next week. I like the idea that if by some minuscule chance I find myself in bow range of a wolf, I can fling one. Anyone have any advice? Where to focus my hunt, where to camp, etc?

After posting I started doing some searching and I’m not sure you can hunt bear there. Anyone know? What public land is available in units 17 and 20?

Last edited:
well i was doing some early scouting for deer today, and just a general hike in the woods. well i saw a few cattle roaming the road on the way in, and i hiked about a mile in and thought i saw another. all i could see was this big rear end about the size of a full grown cow, thought it was strange to be so far back but who knows. well i stood and stared at it, then it turned around and was a big female about 80 yards from me. i only had my 40 cal pistol so i backed away and she ran off. had my bear tag in my pocket too. maybe tomorrow.

Pramo

WKR
Did my first ever outfitted hunt in Idaho, I am pretty die hard DIY and they let me hunt on my own and provided bait, horses/mules and tents. Great hunt in an area I could never reach on my own. Having a wrangler meet you with a mule around dark was a nice treat all I had to do was pack it out 500 or so yards to the trail, now I need to make sure I don't get soft.

bear2.jpg

bear.jpg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did my first ever outfitted hunt in Idaho, I am pretty die hard DIY and they let me hunt on my own and provided bait, horses/mules and tents. Great hunt in an area I could never reach on my own. Having a wrangler meet you with a mule around dark was a nice treat all I had to do was pack it out 500 or so yards to the trail, now I need to make sure I don't get soft.

View attachment 72634

View attachment 72635
Beautiful bear

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Well, we drew blood. My dad shot a 6' chocolate colored bear about a mile from one of the baits. Not sure weather to call it a baited bear or spot n stalk haha! It had been on my trail cam 2 days before, but my dad spotted it across a canyon, put a sneak on it and made a great 233 yd shot. So whatever you call it, it was an awesome hunt. I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how. Congrats on your great bear Pramo.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Another Idaho bear down. Got my buddy Matt on his first bear Saturday.
63243d612e68b2fbf4e30bd08ae7cbfc.jpg
43f25618cc456e188aaee72053764964.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

264win

WKR
Great to see all the sucess stories here, nice going guys!
I just got back from my first MT spring bear/ elk scouting trip, and it was a blast. Beautiful country and scenery, game everywhere.
Bears were a little harder to find than I was expecting, but I did manage to glass up a few and put a good stalk and shot on a nice bear with a beautiful coat. Can't wait to go back this fall for deer and elk

20180525_085934.jpg

Last edited:

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished 6 days in NW MT. Saw: 1 wolf, 1 grizzly, 2 mountain lions, 7 black bears. I botched the only opportunity I had at a legal black bear, hiked a lot of country and gained some knowledge.

I was thankful to have a small bottle of deet in my possibles pouch as the ticks and mosquitoes were unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

idahoman

FNG
Spent 5 days out in North Idaho over the weekend saw 4 black bears and one griz (at 80yds) my buddy took a small boar. Not a ton of sign but they are moving!

Hunted the last four days in Montana. First three were pretty tough we saw one small bear. Found a good one last night and made a 3 mile mad dash to get to him before dark. Lost sight of him on the way, but spotted him at 440 yds. Snuck into 200 and took the shot.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunted the last four days in Montana. First three were pretty tough we saw one small bear. Found a good one last night and made a 3 mile mad dash to get to him before dark. Lost sight of him on the way, but spotted him at 440 yds. Snuck into 200 and took the shot.
That's a beauty congratulations

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I put my new Christensen Ridgeline 300 WM to work last week to roll a couple of nice black bears. Neither of the shots were particularly long, but I got to test Berger 215 performance at short range. My bear was less than 20 yards on a perfectly executed spot and stalk, and my wife smashed her bear with a double lung pass through at 35 yards. The weather on the Prince William Sound was a little snotty while we were there, but all in all it was a great hunt and we killed five great black bears. Three of which squared over 6 1/2'.

Attachments

• 2018 Black bear.jpg
    2018 Black bear.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Holly 2018 bear.jpg
    Holly 2018 bear.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 94

BCSteel

FNG
I'm still looking for #1. Covered a lot of ground but not seeing too much sign. Changing areas and heading north about 300km for my last 3 days next week, hopefully I can make something happen.
ed7863613678e00abde03d216d4b2582.jpg
01707b2a689e905b3ff1d57d4e5e5065.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk