NW MT or NE ID last week of May?

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Current plan is to hunt near the Hungry Horse Reservoir. If I get a bear I’ll jump over to ID unit 7 near Avery. I plan to start in Montana as I hunted the same area last year, but hope to hop over to ID to learn a new area. With the snow levels this year is there any reason to head to ID first?

I’ll be bow hunting and will have a mountain bike. I prefer to just backpack, but found that a bike is beneficial on some closed roads around the reservoir. I also see a lot of old logging roads on google earth when I look at unit 7. I’ll have camp on my back and prefer to stay away from the masses if possible.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Snow levels are still pretty high over here. Still snowmobiling and a lot of roads are closed due to snow up high. Check with the forest service before you come, but I don't think you will be getting on top until mid June at least, especially down by Avery. You will have to drive the long way around through St Maries to get to Avery.

OP
TradAg02

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Snow levels are still pretty high over here. Still snowmobiling and a lot of roads are closed due to snow up high. Check with the forest service before you come, but I don't think you will be getting on top until mid June at least, especially down by Avery. You will have to drive the long way around through St Maries to get to Avery.

Thank you for the info. I was originally scheduled to be there this week, but pushed back to the end of May due to snow levels.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you might be OK at Hungry Horse at the end of May, that's only at lower elevation and with south and west facing stuff- still drainages that are 200-ish% of normal

OP
TradAg02

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone made it out to the area yet?

Seeknelk

WKR
Come on up to Flathead valley and shoot a bear please. Snow is still around but is receding very quickly. Then come back and hunt wolves!:) Certainly some roads or parts of them won't be bikeable deeper in mts, or sections off the hungry horse reservoir roads
but there is endless bear country good to go.

EcoastDG

FNG
I had the opportunity to hunt the Flathead valley 2 years ago. Beautiful country and I was lucky enough to harvest a bear. Kids have been begging me for more bear sausage (they eat it like candy) so I am planning another trip next year with my wife.
Good luck OP.

OP
TradAg02

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Flew into Kalispell just before dark. From the air it looked like there was plenty of green with most of the snow holding up high around the reservoir. Will hit the trail midday tomorrow.