Ethics?

I wanted to put this out there to gauge how common this is and how many others have had a similar experience. I went into hunt one of my baits last night. This bait is on a steep N facing slope, there is a creek in the bottom and my shooting location is on the opposite S facing slope giving me a 150 yd shot. I was walking up the bottom to start a honey burn before sitting the evening.

About 200 yards below my bait I found a fresh bear carcass that had been skinned. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

If some of you would share some of your experiences and some of the things you do to avoid this that would be great. Also if you have baited and never experienced this let me know. Like I said I'm just trying to get a little better idea of how common this is.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I wanted to put this out there to gauge how common this is and how many others have had a similar experience. I went into hunt one of my baits last night. This bait is on a steep N facing slope, there is a creek in the bottom and my shooting location is on the opposite S facing slope giving me a 150 yd shot. I was walking up the bottom to start a honey burn before sitting the evening.

About 200 yards below my bait I found a fresh bear carcass that had been skinned. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

If some of you would share some of your experiences and some of the things you do to avoid this that would be great. Also if you have baited and never experienced this let me know. Like I said I'm just trying to get a little better idea of how common this is.

I have had other people use my baits before. So I moved them farther in and have not had an issue since. But I would not be surprised if someone did find one and sit on it.

Here in Idaho, you don't have to take bear meat. Do you in Wyoming?

Last edited:
I found a guy Hunting my bait once. He tried to say it was his and here we are required to keep the permit with coordinates of the bait so I asked him to show it to me. He quickly got angry and left I immediately called fish and game.

Very common problem. It's unethical to sit someone's bait, I think we can all agree on that. But it's legal, and that means other people are going to do it, and you can't stop them. Most baits get hauled in when there's still snow on the ground, and that makes it easy for others to find it. I've heard conversations where a person said they "quit hauling bait in, and merely drove backroads looking for lots of human tracks. Follow the tracks, find the bait." In Idaho you have to purchase a bear bait permit to hunt a bait, wether it's yours or not. Most people I've found sitting my baits did not have a bait permit, so I turned them in for that. Then move the bait while they are sorting it out with F&G. Sorry to hear this happened to you, sometimes the best efforts we make are overcome by a few feeble - minded unethical twits. I don't consider those folks to be hunters, no matter what the law says.

OP
W
Thanks for the responses.

The carcass was left at the site.

Wyoming is the same as Idaho, you are not required to take bear meat.

This law has always surprised me.

Very common problem. It's unethical to sit someone's bait, I think we can all agree on that. But it's legal, and that means other people are going to do it, and you can't stop them. Most baits get hauled in when there's still snow on the ground, and that makes it easy for others to find it. I've heard conversations where a person said they "quit hauling bait in, and merely drove backroads looking for lots of human tracks. Follow the tracks, find the bait." In Idaho you have to purchase a bear bait permit to hunt a bait, wether it's yours or not. Most people I've found sitting my baits did not have a bait permit, so I turned them in for that. Then move the bait while they are sorting it out with F&G. Sorry to hear this happened to you, sometimes the best efforts we make are overcome by a few feeble - minded unethical twits. I don't consider those folks to be hunters, no matter what the law says.

Can hunt bait without permit. Permit is to "place" bait.

Havent had anybody hunt one of our baits, have had some camera stuff that didn't make sense (like somebody deleted some pics). Also found a book of matches in our blind one time.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Did not know that. I’m in Montana where you’re required to take the hide, skull and meat. My apologies.

No worries! I think it’s good info for people to know how drastically different states game laws are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Can hunt bait without permit. Permit is to "place" bait.

Havent had anybody hunt one of our baits, have had some camera stuff that didn't make sense (like somebody deleted some pics). Also found a book of matches in our blind one time.

So what state are you baiting bears?

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I was curious about where black dawg was baiting for bear since his location says SW Montana and it's illegal to bait bear in Montana.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds less ethical to me to kill it and leave the meat than to sit someone else's bait....