Where to aim?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I was doing some reading today and noticed there are some differing opinions when it comes to arrow placement on black bears. Some people say right behind the shoulder, while others recommend aiming almost exactly in the middle of the bear. What do the Roksliders think about this subject? Where do you all prefer to aim your arrow?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was doing some reading today and noticed there are some differing opinions when it comes to arrow placement on black bears. Some people say right behind the shoulder, while others recommend aiming almost exactly in the middle of the bear. What do the Roksliders think about this subject? Where do you all prefer to aim your arrow?

The only two I killed I aimed behind front shoulder, like a deer. One muzzleloader and one archery. Never heard of middle of the bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casey58

FNG
My understanding is that the vitals are a little further back then deer. I've looked at some side views of vitals and decided that if I had bow in hand I would aim a couple inches behind the shoulder instead of right behind it.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Behind the front leg when it’s forward. Puts they down every time. Broadside or slightly quartering away is a plus also.

We are just getting ready to give archery a try this year, but from what I have read the middle shot if accurate will still get lung, and if forward of point of aim, dead bear. If shot is farther back bear will be dead by morning. The guides that I know say this shot is to avoid front shoulder, and to make an easy aim point since bears can get all stretched out in weird positions, plus the hair can make body size deceiving.

With rifle we have been aiming halfway up and a few inches behind shoulder with leg straight down. One thing we have learned, is to shoot them in a pretty neutral position (all 4 legs straight down) helps with blood trailing. When you put a hole through them when they are in a weird position, the hide doesn't line up with the wound very often.

KJH

WKR
I've shot enough bears to be in the double digits... I really don't claim to be an expert but I do have some personal anecdotal experience that tells me that if you can get your arrow an inch or two behind the front shoulder you'll hear the death moan within minutes even if you only get one lung. I shoot just higher than I would on an elk, deer, or moose. I've also been at the shot on many bears where I wasn't the hunter.

I know I'd rather kill one with an arrow than a rifle, if its in thick forest. A bad shot with a rifle ends up too often with hair clogged holes and crappy blood trails for tracking. If you are gun hunting and can, shoot one with a shotgun slug, its over fast and there is a big blood when it runs. I always tell first timers who are gun hunting to use a shotgun if they have one.

I've only lost one big game animal in my life. It was a black average sized black bear. The broadside shot was about 15 yards and the arrow must have hit the shoulder bone square because the arrow penetrated about 2 inches and came right out about 5 yards from the shot. It felt like a good shot, but I must have pulled it a few inches forward. There was only 2 inches of blood on the arrow. It was also the only time I've ever shot mechanical broadheads, but the broadhead was fully expanded. so... just don't hit the shoulder and put it right behind the leg a tad high.

amp713

WKR
The only time I've heard the middle comment is when it's a big bear that's hard to get an actual shoulder line on. That way you don't accidentally slam a shoulder. I think its more a back up plan than a plan a.

theres an interesting read about the "middle of the middle" it can be found doing a search. i read it a while back. basically there was an outfitter that claims to never have lost a bear shooting for the area. i think its good for those who never hunted bear and want to simplify and not overthink.

DonPablo

FNG
Funny, I just read a Mossy Oak mini article on bear hunting in Bowhunter Magazine and the author suggested, “middle of the middle.”

super

Banned
Arrow placement/bullet placement it’s the same thing...Bear will go down depending on their size too. But It’s best to put it in their longs.