pop up blinds and bears over bait

So in the past we have built brush blinds and have good luck with them, problem is this year, still lots of snow. 2 weekends ago when we put in our bait, there was a 10ft plus drift over our brush blind. Normally the snow melts off about when we are ready to start hunting, and then we can use our blind. We will check our baits tomorrow, and should be able to start sitting the bait tomorrow night......but we wont have a blind yet. There will still be about 4 feet covering everything. Thinking about setting up a popup blind in there somewhere, but with nothing to brush it in with will we be wasting our time? Max distance to the bait is only about 50 yds.

We usually do have bears on these baits even with these snow conditions, just have usually given it a few more weeks to start hunting. THe bears that are usually on these baits this early are usually pretty big, and only hang out for a couple weeks and then leave, so this year I want to get in there earlier and see how it goes.

KJH

WKR
Where I hunt, several bears are killed over bait stations that have only bare popup blinds. Guys will sit in them, especially if its raining.

BRWNBR

WKR
I do all my baiting with a pop up ground blind. Take it down when I leave. Six grizz and a black bear later I see no reason to change. I will add I sit at about a hundred yards.

Last edited:
OP
B
Went up and baited sites sat. morning, only have one bear on our better bait (very good bear though). He has been there since the 14th so we just filled the bait and got out of there and will try to hunt him this next weekend.

Still lots of snow, probably only melted/settled a foot and a half in two weeks.

Cobie33

FNG
I been on a few bowhunts for black bear using a pop up at the bait. I have done the put up and take down every time as well as the leave it up. The bears are curious of the blind but don't spook from it in my experience. When it got left out it was always pushed in when I got there the next day. I never brushed them in. If you don't want it ripped or trashed take it down each night.