Can’t find bears are they real?

lcneo2112

FNG
I’m in Montana right now. This is my first bear hunt. I have hunted three days and I haven’t seen any bears and almost no sign. I’m south of Missoula and have to head back to Colorado soon any help/thoughts would be soooo helpful. I’m not picky about size or anything I just want a bear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no insight for you but curious at what elevation you have been looking

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I wish i had something good to tell you. I got back from there on Monday, hunted 5 days last week. My 1st time too. Hunted hard but Never saw a bear. Came across everything else - elk, moose, MD, WT, turkeys, even fresh cougar and wolf tracks. But we didn't cut a single bear track or find one pile of scat in 40 boot miles.

There was nothing green above ~ 6300ft. It was best below 5000ft, but there was VERY, VERY little public land below 5K. We hit those spots in 3 different mtn ranges but to no avail. I assume they were are still down lower on private where the best feed was.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
Brian barney did an episode on his podcast about spring bear in Montana not too long ago, it was full of good info. Other than that I don't have any GPS cords for ya.

264win

WKR
I just got home from hunting the same area.

The bears are there, find the greenest areas you can as far away from roads and houses. Get to a vantage point and glass, glass, glass. Esp the last few hours of daylight. All the bears I saw were in the last hour of light

JohnnyB

WKR
I just got back from a couple hours north of there. Saw 4 bears, two were large. They were all lower than I thought they would be. Saw three in the middle of the day mid way up the mountain, the other at last light in the creek bottom. The area is so thick that there is very little time to assess and shoot and I found my spotting scope worthless. I should have brought a machete.

krohboy

WKR
Keep at it. My first trip out for Bear was he same with no sightings. Next trip needed with 2/3 tags filled. Just keep pounding the hills and glass the greenest areas you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
Friday night I was unloading my car at our cabin in the Seeley area. Had a little bear walk about 30 yards past me so they are out. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk