Admin
Staff member
4d42a8f0b37d6f87c058f717c2989497.jpg

Pretty epic week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned before that this was my first archery bear. Earlier this year I made a deal with our outfitter friend Adam and he had some baits going when I got to camp. I've never hunted bears over bait and was excited about the new experience.

The first night I was set up in a tree stand and had a beautiful blonde bear come in but I was pretty sure it was a sow so I let it walk. It was really tough not to shoot, especially when she came back again just before dark.

Bow-in-stand.jpg

Blonde-Bear-Cropped.jpg

Broadhead.jpg

Besides just trying to kill a decent boar, I really wanted to get it on video if I could.

Camera.jpg

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The next night I sat on the ground at a different bait site hoping for a good boar that Adam had on camera.

Sitka-Fanatic.jpg

I was sitting on a log with my back against a tree for about two hours when this nice chocolate colored boar came in.

Boar-Copy.jpg

The bear walked around, layed down, walked around some more, and pretty much just tested my patience for over an hour before finally presenting me with the shot I was looking for.

Chocolate-Boar-Crop.jpg

I had already ranged the spot and knew the horizontal corrected distance was about 25 yards. I drew back and settled my 20-yard pin on his vitals.

Justin-Kill_Moment-crop.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
At the snap of my string, the bear flinched and dropped about six inches. I saw and heard my arrow slam into the bear but the hit was a little high. The bear rolled over snapping at the wound and then made it about 20 yards into the brush where it appeared he would expire. Unfortunately, after a couple minutes he gained enough strength to make it another 30 yards and out of my sight. I tried to get another shot but there was way too much brush to get my arrow through. As he struggled out of sight, I could see a lot of blood running down his side and figured he wouldn't make it far. I picked up my broken arrow and took a look at the blood while I waited for Adam and gave the bear a little time before trailing.

Bloodtrail.jpg

Bloodtrail-2.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Adam showed up shortly after and the two of us headed after the bear. The hill the bear headed down was incredibly steep and he was covering way more ground than either of us thought he could due to the amount of blood we were seeing. As we trailed him, we could tell he was mostly rolling down the hillside. Before long it was dark so we broke out the headlamps and continued downward. The blood trail continued to be pretty easy to follow until we hit big timber toward the bottom. At that point, we could hear the creek which was about 200 yards below us and decided our best bet was to come back in the morning. We made it to the road next to the creek and waited for Billy and Matt to come pick us up.

While we waited I found what appeared to be drag marks on the road and sure enough, Adam found blood and we knew the bear had made it into the creek. The water was raging due to all the snow melt and my heart sank as we looked up and down the bank unsuccessfully. When Billy and Matt arrived we decided to look along the creek banks a little more since Billy had a brighter light and about 100 yards downstream Matt hollered "I see the bear laying in the grass". Sure enough there he was and I couldn't be happier that we found him. The creek was not safe to cross in the dark so we decided to wait until morning and use a bridge upstream.

As he lay.

As-he-lay.jpg

A quick photo before we tied a rope around him and floated him across the creek. Man was I happy to finally get my hands on that bear!

Bear-down.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, did Broz get his with a bow? Went from that incredible long rang shot two years ago to up close and personal, eh.

Yes he did, and I got it all on video along with my shot. I'll get a link to it as soon as he gets the video edited and uploaded.

Slim Jim

WKR
Adam showed up shortly after and the two of us headed after the bear. The hill the bear headed down was incredibly steep and he was covering way more ground than either of us thought he could due to the amount of blood we were seeing. As we trailed him, we could tell he was mostly rolling down the hillside. Before long it was dark so we broke out the headlamps and continued downward. The blood trail continued to be pretty easy to follow until we hit big timber toward the bottom. At that point, we could hear the creek which was about 200 yards below us and decided our best bet was to come back in the morning. We made it to the road next to the creek and waited for Billy and Matt to come pick us up.

While we waited I found what appeared to be drag marks on the road and sure enough, Adam found blood and we knew the bear had made it into the creek. The water was raging due to all the snow melt and my heart sank as we looked up and down the bank unsuccessfully. When Billy and Matt arrived we decided to look along the creek banks a little more since Billy had a brighter light and about 100 yards downstream Matt hollered "I see the bear laying in the grass". Sure enough there he was and I couldn't be happier that we found him. The creek was not safe to cross in the dark so we decided to wait until morning and use a bridge upstream.

As he lay.

As-he-lay.jpg

A quick photo before we tied a rope around him and floated him across the creek. Man was I happy to finally get my hands on that bear!

Bear-down.jpg

Awesome brother!!