Grizzly Success

My wife and I were fortunate to each take a Grizzly this past weekend here in Alaska. Mine was shot on Friday evening and hers the following night. I'll never forget either of them and I doubt she will either. Her's is an exceptional critter for Interior alaska, 24" skull and over 8'.

attachment.php

attachment.php

LostArra

WKR
Wow!
How far did you have to pack out those critters?

I find myself looking forward to every Nick post.

What's the specs on your bow and arrow? Widow?

OP
Nick Muche
Each one was packed about a mile or so, but over generally flat ground though awfully swampy with dead fall abound.

The Widow is a PSA II Take down, 55# at 28" and I shot a GT Traditional 300 spine with a 150 Grain Cutthroat BH.

Stef shot a 500 Spine Velocity pro with a 100 Grain Slick Trick.

Both bears died less than 60 yards from the shot.

It was a very exciting weekend, lot's of bears it seemed this year, but my trail camera wasn't working so I took the first shot on the first bear to show itself, which I am totally fine with. Always dreamed of a nice blonde grizzly. When Stefs bear walked in it was one of the most exciting few minutes I've experienced. He's huge. We couldn't move him for photos at all, just the two of us.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
WOW! That is absolutely awesome! Two archery Grizzlies in 24 hours ... seriously, that is incredible. Congrats to you both! Thanks for posting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations that's a memorial weekend not soon forgotten

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Nick Muche
Thanks fellas, it was a very fun time and I couldn't be prouder of my wife for holding it together when it counted. She made a wonderful shot on her bear despite being quite nervous/anxious the entire day leading up to the evening hunt. We talked about what she had to do and I think it calmed her down a lot. When the bear came in she did her own thing and I just videoed, very proud of her on timing her draw and shot selection. Both of those things are very important with any animal inside 15 yards, but even more so an animal of this size. I wish everyone out there could experience such a hunt and I hope that someday everyone that wants to can find a way to do it. Best of luck the rest of this spring to you all!

attachment.php

Last edited:

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Really cool. Congrats to both of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BRWNBR

WKR
That’s awesome nick! That would be a great day with the wife for sure!
These both come off one of your baits? Hair looks fantastic on both of them.

OP
Nick Muche
Yeah Jake, both off of one of my baits and yes the hair on each was impecable, not a rub to be found. 13-14 yard shots on each.

BRWNBR

WKR
Nothing like perfect hair on those bears. Beauty of a double. What a killer way to start the year. Was that your wife’s first grizz?

OP
Nick Muche
It was her first but I don't think it'll be her last, she had a great time and we can't wait until next spring to try again. She will likely have an opportunity this fall on our caribou hunt but topping her first will be a tough endeavor!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
A mile through that swampy deadfall sounds....fun. Nice work both of you!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super awesome! Please give her my congratulations! That’s a heck of a bear!

Fun seeing you two get out there together, great stuff.

Stid2677

WKR
His and hers, very cool. “Beauty and the Beast" combo, pretty blonde and a good ole bigun.

Well done!!!