Grizzly Success

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
That is amazing. Incredible color on your bear. Looking forward to the pics from Kodiak this fall. Still curious if the map point I sent you ever came through in a way you could use it.

OP
Nick Muche
That is amazing. Incredible color on your bear. Looking forward to the pics from Kodiak this fall. Still curious if the map point I sent you ever came through in a way you could use it.

Thanks again Steve, yep it came through just fine. Apologies for not confirming earlier, I've been home a month and it's been a crazy busy past 4 weeks trying to catch up on everything.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks again Steve, yep it came through just fine. Apologies for not confirming earlier, I've been home a month and it's been a crazy busy past 4 weeks trying to catch up on everything.

Perfect! Glad to hear that. Good luck to you.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats again to the both of ya Nick, amazing animals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Glad to be rid of those two calf killers. Plenty of em around.

It's not always easy to take grizzly over bait as they are usually much more
cautious than black bears. Many times I've had grizzly bears circle wide in the
bait area and when they cut your trail, it's over.

Good job Nick!

OP
Nick Muche
Glad to be rid of those two calf killers. Plenty of em around.

It's not always easy to take grizzly over bait as they are usually much more
cautious than black bears. Many times I've had grizzly bears circle wide in the
bait area and when they cut your trail, it's over.

Good job Nick!

That's our experience as well Vern, they are some of the most cautious animals I've hunted and even more so over bait. We just had two great nights of exceptional wind for the stand location and it came together. I moved things up a bit this year with regards to where my stand/bait are at so that it would be much more difficult for bears to wind us with the typical prevailing winds in the area. Seemed to have worked out well.

Take care Vern and thanks!

VernAK

WKR
I've taken to placing my stand about 80-100 yards from the bait....too far for a bow......
and still I had a big one in behind me last week.......he got to woofing and knocking trees around
but never got out in the open.

I've got trail camera pics of a world class trophy grizzly in a "no grizzly baiting area".....incredible trophy.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's like we're hunting the same bears. I have a dinosaur that's been hitting my stand for three years now and I can't get him to commit when we're sitting the stand. He'll woof, circle and once last year stood up just beyond the clearing without giving us a clear shot. This year I moved the stand to another clearing and set myself 80 yards or so off of the bait. It won't be bow hunting but we're gonna try to get him for my 9 y/o daughters first bear.

OP
Nick Muche
Another deal to put the odds in your favor when hunting these bears is to use an Ozonics. I've sat 4 times this season and we've had 13-14 yard bow shot opportunities on two 8'+ boar Grizzlies, the blonde sow, one 7' black bear, one 6' 6" black bear and even a wolf. I was skeptical at first, but these bears are coming into the bait acting much different than years past when we haven't used the Ozonics.

Not a plug for them in anyway, but damn if you can tip the scales in your favor, why not do it.

They are damn expensive though, luckily I was able to use a friends but will be saving up and purchasing one of my own.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
Nick,
I think you're saying I'm odorous!

Must be as one time I had parked my new ATV about a 1/4 mile from the bait.
I never saw the bear but he found my ATV and shredded the seat.....thankful it
wasn't my truck.