Montana Elk eating Bear

Axlrod

WKR
We were out camping a couple weeks ago, I was having a cup of coffee when my wife said she heard an elk. I told her it was probably a bird and that I didn't here anything. She heard it again and then pointed up on the mountain about 900 yards away and said "there is the elk". I quickly had my binos on it and it was running back and forth. I figured a coyote was harassing it's calf.
Then from below a bear came out of the trees with the calf in it's mouth! The cow charged the bear, and the bear flipped the lifeless calf up in the air. The bear stood its ground and the cow retreated. Then the bear grabbed the calf and headed up the hill into another patch of trees. Well i had a bear tag, so I grabbed my gun and pack and headed up there. I made my way up the sagebrush hill and into the scattered timber. The bear was eating on the calf when I got to him. He never new I was there, I shot him at 35 yards.
The gun I used was a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor, a gun I had won at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet a month before.

Attachments

• IMG953779.jpg
    IMG953779.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 417
By the title, I thought I was going to see a Montana Elk eating a bear. Nice shot and a nice bear ! That would be a nice life-size mount of the bear with the calf in it's mouth.

boom

WKR
AWESOME.

kudos to your wife!! that is some STELLAR hunting wingman stuff.

(shh..did you try the calf meat)

WJS23

WKR
Congrats on the nice bear and what ammo are you shooting out of that kimber

chindits

WKR
That's about the perfect bear hunt right there with all those components coming into play. I really like where the rifle came from and the future calves saved part.

bcbear3

FNG
Wyoming used to claim black bears get 40% of fawn crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
That is a great way for a bear harvest to unfold! Predator control and the reason for it all in one photo.