what to do with bear hides?

What do you guys do with hides that you don't get tanned? We usually end up with a few that aren't worth doing anything with and they just end up sitting in a freezer. Some of them I would rather just leave in the woods to begin with, but mt and id regs want skull and hide to tag.

WJS23

WKR
Give them to some one that ties flys or someone who trains bear hounds

^^^This. Houndsmen especially are always looking for hides to train pups with. It's not often that someone wants to donate a bear hide, but it's very useful for training. I bet you'd get a chance to go watch those dogs work for your generosity.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
We have taken them right back in the woods and dumped them after F&G check. Not sure I like it with the permanent tag attached, but a F&G officer actually told us it was fine. Some taxidermists will take them. Think they will clean up claws, skull and sell the parts.

Grizz208

FNG
Sell em to the taxidermist. Or taxidermy schools. You may not get much for them but the will appreciate it.

Flesh/salt/dry them ourselves, send to tan, hang on nail. Cheapest way I've found. We have one rug of each species (Brown, Black, Grizzly) and a half body grizzly on the way with no idea where we will have room to put it. I have no use for any more rugs, so a tanned hide on a nail will suffice.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I once saw a picture of Dwight Schuh's office and he has several bears socked and hung by the nose like you would a coyote. Pretty cool...I am going to do that with non-mounters so as not to waste them.

KJH

WKR
I have this problem too. I did donate one a few years ago to a guy who was going to taxidermy school... I wish I knew more of those guys.