Western N.C. 2018 Bear Hunt

eamyrick

WKR
Trying to plan a public land hunt October 2018 outside of Weaverville/Asheville (family cabin is here). I’ve heard most of the hunting is done with dogs but thought I’d try my hand in the Pisgah NF putting in some miles. Anyone have any experience or tips for the area? Thanks. -Elijah

CJC

FNG
I grew up in North Georgia and did quite a bit of public land bear hunting there. Walk a ton and look for ridges with white oaks and you’ll find sign. Finding where they frequent isn’t very difficult, it’s trying to close the distance that gets tricky.

Spot and stalk is definitely not the preferred, or most effective way to hunt bears in western NC. We just dont have the large opening to glass like out west. That being said, I wouldnt discourage you from trying. I will shoot you a PM when i get back from vacation with some spots I used to hit up in college in the asheville area. There are some decent areas for glassing some old logging roads and oak ridges.

Jauwater

WKR
I’ve hunted the Mitchell Sanctuary a hand full of times a few years ago. Really steep rugged terrain, but it’s a decent place. The area is surrounded by public land that people often run dogs. Many of the bears have learned the sanctuary is a “safe place”, because hunting with dogs isn’t allowed within the sanctuary. Although, I’ve seen dogs running through there from time to time. I’ve been told that sanctuary holds a huge amount of bears, but their hard to get to because of the terrain. Gotta get on the steep terrain cause that’s where they are (I’m just repeating what I was told by a local game warden). I never had success pulling one from there, but I always seen a ton of sign. I entered by hiking the Colbert Ridge trail till it intersects with the BMCT. Follow the trail towards Mount Mitchell till your into the sanctuary then descend the mountain to your left (or east). There are easier ways to hunt the area, but I always went to the top. I’d call a local game warden if you plan to use trails, and see if he can recommend access points where you won’t have to worry about packing a weapon across private property. Many of the public trails around that area pass through private property for a short while.

The Mitchell Bear Sanctuary is a special permit hunt. I believe those permits run like $15-$20. I cant remember it’s been a while since I looked.

As stated above, spot and stalk is extremely difficult here. But I’d recommend if you come across one or another with sign, sitting near a spring, or berry bushes. There are some grassy spots on the ridges you can glass from but most of those areas the trail passes through so you’d have to stalk the bear away from there.

There are a lot of hunting opportunities off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know a lot of guys that do it. I’ve never, I just haven’t done enough research on the laws for that sorta thing. A lot of glassing opportunities could be found there.

I was hiking over towards Max Patch / Hot Springs two weekends ago, and came across three different bears in my travel. Not sure what public lands surrounds that but I’m sure there is something. Pretty remote out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FLAK

WKR
That is some BEAUTIFUL country up there. I am planning a trip to N. Georgia
to do the same myself this fall. Been a few years since I've been.
Like others have said, find the food!! There are some big ones up there too!!

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Update: I booked my flight for the October hunt. Now for tons of research into public land spots.

I think I would hunt them like deer, look for all the the above mentioned food sources and saddles that connect areas between them. My buddy lives and hunts near Roanoke and they have a good number of bears. I think they shoot most of there's as they travel the same routes, saddles etc the deer do. According to him the also love the taste of trail cameras, ATV seats and 3 d targets ! lol

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Getting close. 2 weeks away. Have some spots that were recommended by locals saved on OnX. I’ve fly fished near one of the spots before and a trail runs along a river. Do black bears run river cooridors? I imagine there is tons of water in the area but was wondering about their general activity. I could probably set up and glass a long way down the river.

Im gonna do something similar..i also tried last year to no avail. For me its tough to find an area not beat to death by dogs. Dogs make bear hunting for non dog runners very difficult.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
If you would, update this when you get back. I moved to the mountains of western NC a few months ago ... I have this exact same plan in mind. Putting boots to the ground in the next week or so on a piece of public land I've been eyeing.

Hammer08

FNG
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how your hunt goes as this is something I’m interested in as well.

If VA didn’t absolutely gouge out of staters (I live 20 min from the state line) I would be bear hunting the Jefferson National Forest.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
My out of state from Texas including game lands and bear sanctuary permits was $380. The $225 bear license hurts.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
NC. Out of state hunting (10 day), out of state big game (10 day), bear hunting, bear stamp, game lands, and bear sanctuary. NC charges a few surrounding states more because of reciprocity issues.

Didn’t know that. Not real cheap but not god awful. One problem I’ve found hunting public lands on the east side of the mountains (Caldwell up to Allegheny) is that most of the public land is basically hemlock, pine, hardwood. Not many openings with any sort of food source I can find. Plus the later season won’t most of the bears be hibernating? I have no clue what they eat besides leftover acorns in December.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
c5ea744983a29632f8a46deabd874ba8.jpg
1ec9cad097ad8ad3b91777571304d808.jpg

License came in last minute from North Carolina Wildlife Commission. The line at the Austin Airport during ACL weekend was crazy but I managed to get checked in with a rifle without a hitch. Landing in Charlotte and going to scout a few spots and check rifle zero before meeting up with a NC BHA guy to go over my scouting plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk