Bangstick For Bears

EthanFred

FNG
Kudos to nick for admitting to lost bears. It happens if you do it long enough, lots of folks aren’t upfront about it. I respect that honesty.
He’s on the money with placement. Bears bodies behind the shoulders aren’t very tough, thin skinned and weak ribs.
I’ve been blessed to be on quite a few bear bowstring kills of brown/grizzly/black variety what I’ve learned aside from the obvious placement, is that good bullets matter. Ballistic tips, Berger, have been less than impressive. I’d rather shoot a solid than a weak bullet.

I feel that too .. much rather use a bow than a bullet since those tend to stay intact when the make impact.

TexasCub

WKR
Black bears are pretty damn easy to kill. I’ve been party to a couple dozen of them being killed over the years. From pistols to recurve, compound, shotgun slug, and rifles in all kinds of calibers. Their vitals are pretty easy to get to with most anything if you hit where your aiming. Even frangible bullets will work as long as you don’t hit a leg bone on the way in. Only bear I’ve ever lost was one shot with a mechanical broadhead as an experiment, shot was perfect and never found the bear, I’m convinced it never opened up, not a fan of mechanicals at all. I’m really surprised how many bears there are here in Colorado, my last 3 scouting trips I’ve had a black bear encounter. This one would have been easy to kill and he was a pretty bear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...2-779D-424F-AE40-31B7E3C96EDB_zpsusvlat3p.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...0-64D0-422F-8334-A56C7A23F552_zpsinibmtwc.png

A few nights ago I had to dispatch a 4-5 year mountain grizzly in interior Alaska while on a caribou hunt. He was slowly making his way down towards my camp gorging on blueberries. The 130 gr ttsx from my compact 308 (loaded for caribou) broke one shoulder, destroyed the vitals and exited near the other side’s kidney. The death moans/growls came immediately after the shot. Fastest kill I’ve ever made, and my normal rifle is a 375. It helped to be at short range and getting him by surprise.

I use a 358 win myself. I like 200-225. My personal pet load is a 220-225 at 2475 fps. I 've just settled there.

I run a bdc style reticle in my scope. My rifle is zeroed at. 98 yards. I right on at 50. My bdc lands perfect for 200,300, 350,400.

Can't say enough about my 358. I can go nuts with a 250 gr at 2425 fps. I'm running a 21" barrel 1-12 twist.

Sorry for all the technical. I feel its a great mountain rifle for bear and deer.