Kodiak blacktail hunt advice

weaver

WKR
Finally making a November blacktail hunt on Kodiak a reality.
Hoping you guys can help me out with a few things.
Flying with Andrews around the first of November.

Trip duration.
How many planned days would you schedule to hunt?
How many days to plan for on either end for weather delays?

Rent gear from kodiak kamps or deal with shipping gear up and back?

Rain gear
Is top of the line rain gear necessary in November? Have some decent stuff but should probably upgrade.

Boots
Planned on bringing my kenetrek mt extremes and gaiters. Anything more needed?

I believe we are allowed to debone deer in the field. Correct me if I'm wrong. What is the best way to transport meat from the field back to kodiak? Just leave it in game bags?

Thanks for any help and I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
I have 3 areas that I'm considering.
I called Andrews airways and got prices to different spots. Would recommend giving them a call. Very nice people to talk to.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the rough price range for thier fly out? I'm thinking this will be my next trip to Alaska

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
$800-$1500 one way, depending on plane size and distance.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally making a November blacktail hunt on Kodiak a reality.
Hoping you guys can help me out with a few things.
Flying with Andrews around the first of November.

Trip duration.
How many planned days would you schedule to hunt?
How many days to plan for on either end for weather delays?

Rent gear from kodiak kamps or deal with shipping gear up and back?

Rain gear
Is top of the line rain gear necessary in November? Have some decent stuff but should probably upgrade.

Boots
Planned on bringing my kenetrek mt extremes and gaiters. Anything more needed?

I believe we are allowed to debone deer in the field. Correct me if I'm wrong. What is the best way to transport meat from the field back to kodiak? Just leave it in game bags?

Thanks for any help and I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

Kodiak deer hunting is a blast! Four of us took a total of 10 blacktail last November and had a ball. Could have tagged out (3 tags each) but decided we had as much meat as we wanted.

Be prepared for weather delays, both commercial and bush plane and that way you can be pleasantly surprised when everything runs on time :) if you get stuck, the best western in Kodiak is nice for the $ (I am here overnight for a Kodiak brown bear tag as I type this), offers free breakfast, and even has walk in freezer space if you ask.

I would take the most waterproof rain gear you can. Kodiak driving rain and wind is its own caliber deal. Hopefully you won't get to experience it, but if you do you will be glad for the best gear you can buy. This goes for shelters as well. Having at least one fall back shelter is the best policy on Kodiak. We usually take a hang out tent and a four season tent for sleeping. That way if you have bad weather you have a place to hang out for the day instead of being hunkered down in a 2 man bckpackjng tent. Also nice to have an alternative if the SHTF and you have a shelter fail. Nice to have the option to set up in the alders for a bit of a windbreak if the wind really gets to honking.

Kodiak Kamps will rent you a buddy heater and 20lb bottle of propane. Priceless to take the chill off on mornings or evenings. They rent other gear as well, but we usually fly our own stuff down on AK airlines. $75 gets you an extra 100lb bag, which is often cheaper than renting gear. Within AK gets 3 50lb bags per person, but I have heard it's not as good a deal coming from out of state. Look into it.

Andrews and other air service folks will fly your meat back to town in game bags, I usually prefer to leave it on the bone because it reduces waste. Once in town, hit Walmart for rubber made totes and duct tape. We use a luggage scale to weight totes, put 99 lbs of bone in meat or capes in each tote. You will pay excess baggage $75 each tote but it's the easiest way to get your meat home on the same flight you travel on. They will put "frozen" stickers on meat if you ask them to. Fish boxes and coolers work too, but Rubbermaid totes are just as easy, lighter and cheaper.

Sitka blacktail deer is likely the tastiest steak in AK!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Last time we were there we donated some of our meet to a men's shelter on the island....catholic I think. They were very appreciative for the meat and complimented us on our field care. If you want to fly home some seafood and take just the choice cuts off the deer this is a great and worthy option.

Broomd

WKR
Kodiak deer hunting is a blast! Four of us took a total of 10 blacktail last November and had a ball. Could have tagged out (3 tags each) but decided we had as much meat as we wanted.

Be prepared for weather delays, both commercial and bush plane and that way you can be pleasantly surprised when everything runs on time :) if you get stuck, the best western in Kodiak is nice for the $ (I am here overnight for a Kodiak brown bear tag as I type this), offers free breakfast, and even has walk in freezer space if you ask.

I would take the most waterproof rain gear you can. Kodiak driving rain and wind is its own caliber deal. Hopefully you won't get to experience it, but if you do you will be glad for the best gear you can buy. This goes for shelters as well. Having at least one fall back shelter is the best policy on Kodiak. We usually take a hang out tent and a four season tent for sleeping. That way if you have bad weather you have a place to hang out for the day instead of being hunkered down in a 2 man bckpackjng tent. Also nice to have an alternative if the SHTF and you have a shelter fail. Nice to have the option to set up in the alders for a bit of a windbreak if the wind really gets to honking.

Kodiak Kamps will rent you a buddy heater and 20lb bottle of propane. Priceless to take the chill off on mornings or evenings. They rent other gear as well, but we usually fly our own stuff down on AK airlines. $75 gets you an extra 100lb bag, which is often cheaper than renting gear. Within AK gets 3 50lb bags per person, but I have heard it's not as good a deal coming from out of state. Look into it.

Andrews and other air service folks will fly your meat back to town in game bags, I usually prefer to leave it on the bone because it reduces waste. Once in town, hit Walmart for rubber made totes and duct tape. We use a luggage scale to weight totes, put 99 lbs of bone in meat or capes in each tote. You will pay excess baggage $75 each tote but it's the easiest way to get your meat home on the same flight you travel on. They will put "frozen" stickers on meat if you ask them to. Fish boxes and coolers work too, but Rubbermaid totes are just as easy, lighter and cheaper.

Sitka blacktail deer is likely the tastiest steak in AK!
I wondered how that hunt went for y'all! I had perused here but didn't see the details. Looks like a heckuva great time...
Great advice here too...the difference between just a decent trip and a comfortable trip.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Thanks for all the help.
Looks like there's 4 of us going. I'm thinking of buying 2 8man Cabelas Alaskan guide tents and picking them up at the anchorage Cabelas. Would save some shipping costs.

was wondering if anyone knows about the 50lb. cardboard fish boxes that are available everywhere on Kodiak? i see they are approved for use on Alaska airlines and have some insulation. are they durable enough and easy to handle through an airport? or are you better off with the rubber maid type plastic totes.? my fly time is gonna be around 11 hours.i plan on one 50lb. box and possibly my 3rd check on bag allows up to 100lbs. the totes at Walmart go by gallon size. im thinking a 20 or 30 gal. tote and lotsa duck tape lol.

BRWNBR

WKR
The waxed fish boxes will work fine, you can pack them tight and freeze them before you leave and you should be ok. When I travel with me I load it in a game bag before I bag and box it. Helps soak of blood/water and keep stuff from wanting to leak or drip.

A simple rule for kodiak is you can never have to much stuff. If it gets bad you'll love it that you have two tents, I've seen plenty go flat.
When setting up a tent, think first. Just because your up against a hill don't mean your outa the wind some
Of the fiercest wind comes straight down off mountains there. Use ALL the guy lines on your tents. I haul gravel from the beach and fill my vestibule with it. Makes a nice pad to stand on and keeps your tent alot cleaner, that way you don't step in water/mud/snow then straight into the tent. A good method to haul water is nice. Sometimes camp can't be right by good water.
Don't over think those deer. They love sunshine and are active all day. They will often times lock up rather than spook, they respond to some calls sometimes. Don't drag deer back to camp. Take photos and butcher and leave. Don't sit around and have lunch by your carcass. For reasons that are slightly obvious. Lol deer are anywhere and everywhere, the whole island is their habitat, Rocky Mountains to low lands. Glass it all.
Have fun, bring water proof gloves and make sure you have a way to dry gear out!!

Broomd

WKR
The waxed fish boxes will work fine, you can pack them tight and freeze them before you leave and you should be ok. When I travel with me I load it in a game bag before I bag and box it. Helps soak of blood/water and keep stuff from wanting to leak or drip.

A simple rule for kodiak is you can never have to much stuff. If it gets bad you'll love it that you have two tents, I've seen plenty go flat.
When setting up a tent, think first. Just because your up against a hill don't mean your outa the wind some
Of the fiercest wind comes straight down off mountains there. Use ALL the guy lines on your tents. I haul gravel from the beach and fill my vestibule with it. Makes a nice pad to stand on and keeps your tent alot cleaner, that way you don't step in water/mud/snow then straight into the tent. A good method to haul water is nice. Sometimes camp can't be right by good water.
Don't over think those deer. They love sunshine and are active all day. They will often times lock up rather than spook, they respond to some calls sometimes. Don't drag deer back to camp. Take photos and butcher and leave. Don't sit around and have lunch by your carcass. For reasons that are slightly obvious. Lol deer are anywhere and everywhere, the whole island is their habitat, Rocky Mountains to low lands. Glass it all.
Have fun, bring water proof gloves and make sure you have a way to dry gear out!!
About as good advice as one could get anywhere on deer hunting the 'rock...

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Thanks BRWNBR.
Is there a taxi service on the island to take us to Walmart ect?

Also looking into a half or maybe full day fishing trip. Is it worth going out in November and any recommended charters ?

Broomd

WKR
Re: Walmart, etc. There are taxis available. Can't speak for Andrews, but Roland's gang at Seahawk has taken us shopping at local stores if we needed it.

We have flown with Andrews however, and they are also excellent.

thanks for all the great info! in my research it looks like most of the air services will run you around town before your trip. there are also shuttles from the Best Western into town but the Walmart is off a ways i believe.i will rent from Kodiak kamps. dont know what tents they use but figure they use the good ones.

BRWNBR

WKR
http://www.alaska-fish.com

They have a boat they'll run out in November for fishing I believe. Sometimes hard to find someone with a boat in the water. Tell him jake sent ya!
Andrews will run you around all day long getting whatever you need. Rental car will run about 70 bucks a day, if you've got an extra day I'd go that route. Sometimes some slamming fishing off the road system. Chat with fish and game on that one.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I went to the south end of the island last September. This was our first trip to Kodiak but it went well.
We flew with Andrews, they are a great transport company. I recommend them quickly but have heard good things about seahawk as well.

We rented a tent and bear fence from Kodiak Kamps. They dropped them off at Andrews before we arrived. Included was a Barneys bomb shelter, two cots, two camp chairs, a foldable table, bucket, loppers, hatchet, and d-cell bear fence. The bundle weighed something like 50 or 60 pounds. I took my own Mr. heater Jr that runs on the small green propane bottles. It worked well to warm up the tent but it was in the 40sand 50s so it didn't have to gain many degrees to be warm.

The heater worked hard for one full day to dry our soaked clothing after an arduous afternoon of packing half each of our caribou in the wind and rain. My Kuiu Yukon rain gear was soaked outside from rain and inside from sweat and condensation. I don't believe it leaked, I just sweat a lot and operate hotter than normal people. Good rain gear was a benefit though I would love to have had a wood fire to dry stuff out.

If I go again I'd really like to find a place to camp that had some burnable wood maybe on the coast and set up my Cimarron with a wood stove to hang out in and dry stuff out. The regulars there may say that's not a good idea though.

BRWNBR

WKR
I don't burn anything hunting on the island. Because I don't like everything stinking. And sometimes dry wood is not available. I have the full size buddy heater and it cooks us right out of my 12x12 dome tent. Dries stuff quick. I run it off a 20lb propane bottle.

OP
weaver

weaver

WKR
Finally getting around to updating this thread.
Had beautiful weather for 5 days and filled all of our tags then sat in a motel on Kodiak for 5 days waiting on our flight.
I'm guessing some of you recognize the location and id rather keep quiet even if its not a big secret☺
DSC01112_zpsaszdodfb.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited: