Early Season POW Blacktail

mtcarter

FNG
Hey guys,

I'm planning my first sitka blacktail hunt on POW. I've read through a ton of threads on here and feel like I'm on the right track. I will be hunting for a week on the non resident opener. I know they will be in the alpine at this time. A buddy and I are planning to hike to the alpine and bivy for the week. Being from SC, my question is what kind of things should I be looking for on Google Earth? Just random mountains? I've ordered a forest service map of the island so that I can get away from roads. Any advice on this hunt would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Mountain Goat country (though, there are not goats on POW) is where you will most likely find the deer in August. Good luck!

swmoelk

FNG
We are headed up the first week of September. I've been planning this for 2 years and would be happy to share what I've learned.

OP
M

mtcarter

FNG
Any tips would be great. I'll be happy to share our experiences when we get back to pass along any areas to avoid or check out. Our topo map finally came in with the road system. We've sort of randomly picked 5 spots that look decent with elevation and distance from roads. I'm not sure how many people use the forest service cabins, but we weren't planning on getting one. Hopefully we can stay far enough away from them in order to reduce competition. Our map shows a lot of roads that "may be passable with high ground clearance". Any ideas on how reliable that statement is?

swmoelk

FNG
They open and close roads up there every year so it's best to call the forest service and ask them about specific roads. Also there's old logging roads up there that will.make a little easier walking as well. If your going this year the cabins may already be full. That's would be something else to talk with the Tongass fs people about.

Make sure you cross reference your road map with what you see on satellite pics. The forest is a thick that few have experienced. You will want to make sure you find the easiest path up. Be prepared for rain! I have spent a lot of time on POW so don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Bighorse

WKR
I would focus on one location. Pick it and go hunt. Competition isn't your main concern. Weather and travel logistics are. If you've never hunted mountains before your in for a treat. There's a lot of 99' cliffs hidden in those 100' contour lines. Be a road user. Get as close to the alpine as possible. If you can depart from 1,000 vertical, do it! The first layer of forest can be the worst.

OP
M

mtcarter

FNG
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty excited for this trip. I think we have settled on our spot. Road access should get us fairly close. I'm not going to have the best rain gear ever made by a long shot. It'll have to do though. This will be our first mountain hunt. I did an armed backpacking trip during our bear season last year in what passes for mountains down south. I'm more excited for the experience than anything. Camping in the alpine, are you guys hanging your food? I assume the bears will be in the lower elevations. Any varmints we should be worried about getting into our food?

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
You should seriously consider corked boots or at the least a set of Kathoola removable cramp ons.

Travel in that country became much easier with coarked boots.

Good Luck !

OP
M

mtcarter

FNG
Gear money is quickly evaporating as travel expenses keep piling on. I can't wait for this trip to get here. I'll post here with the results for sure.

LostArra

WKR
I just returned from my annual fishing trip to POW.
If the number of deer I saw on the road from Klawock to Coffman Cove is any indication you will have a lot of opportunities.

OP
M

mtcarter

FNG
I don't think there is a way for me to be disappointed with this trip. Even if we get stuck in the tent all week from weather I'll be glad to have gone.