Kodiak late options- boat vs cabin

SDHNTR

WKR
Strongly considering a boat transporter hunt for early November of next year. I think I have a good line on that kind of hunt from several buds who have done it before. But I'm also just wondering about some of the various cabins around the island. I do not want to tent camp for weather safety reasons that late in the year. I know there are the Forest Service cabins and some Kodiak Refuge cabins. I realize that any near the road system would be hunted hard, and since I'd be bowhunting I don't want that. I need lots of opportunities. But there are also some fly in cabins. Are they as overhunted? Any in particular that would offer better hunting at that time of year? Please PM. Any other general thoughts?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I know, but got too much Aug/Sept stuff going on already for the next several years.

It's not so bad at the lower elevations. I was in a tent down there in November last year and that's how I would do it again.

Things did get pretty dicey above 2000 ft... but that was the goat hunt portion of the trip.

Yk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are right that fly in only cabins will get less pressure than those on the road system, but I still think any area with a cabin will see more pressure than areas without. I have hunted different areas of Kodiak island (for bears, deer and goats depending on the trip) in Aug, Oct, Nov and April. I think the truth is the weather can be bad there at any time of year, and it pays to plan ahead and take bombproof gear. That said, I have and will continue to camp in a tent. Take a shelter that will withstand high winds, be thoughtful in your tent location (I.e. Pitch it in a place with alders or other protection if at all possible), and take more than one shelter (a back up of some kind if things really hit the fan).

On thing I will say about later season trips, it is dark a lot longer so you will spend more time in the tent. Having a wood or propane stove to give some kind of auxiliary heat will make the long nights a lot more enjoyable.

It's not so bad at the lower elevations. I was in a tent down there in November last year and that's how I would do it again.

Things did get pretty dicey above 2000 ft... but that was the goat hunt portion of the trip.

Yk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. A couple years ago I spent the two weeks prior to Christmas, down there in a tent and it was a great trip. The biggest issue that I have found with that time of year is just the fact that the days are so short. I'd have no problem doing it in November although, one of those boat based hunts sounds like a lot of fun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On thing I will say about later season trips, it is dark a lot longer so you will spend more time in the tent. Having a wood or propane stove to give some kind of auxiliary heat will make the long nights a lot more enjoyable.

Killing two birds with one stone, we found that a cheap single mantle propane lantern will warm a 4 man/4 season tent right up. Gave lots of light and dried our gear (and ourselves) out at the same time. A double mantle would have cooked us right out.

From what I understand, that early part of November is tops for calling blacktail bucks. Good timing for an archery hunt in that regard.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
All great info, thanks! I must admit, while hunting would of course be the primary focus, the fishing and crabbing aspect of the boat is appealing to me too. I love Alaska for the whole breadth of adventure it provides, not just the hunting.

BRWNBR

WKR
The boat stuff never appealed to me. Only so many places a boat can get outa the weather on that island. And there's more than one boat outfit, so sometimes the protected areas get hit pretty hard. It'll always be a tent for me.
Becca and Yellowknife are right on. Smaller four man heats nice with a lantern! But for sure a heat source is a must!! I prefer propane. When it's crappy for a month I don't wanna be trying to find dry wood. Click...warm. Yep propane for me! Lol
Typically early November isn't that cold. Sometimes in the 50's. Course I've seen it 50 almost
Into December.

TEmbry

WKR
You get a chance at bad winds but I wouldn't be too intimidated. Fly in with a top notch 4 season tent (2 of them actually) and go hunting. It's not that cold on Kodiak, and camping gets you away from the bay's w cabins which basically have hunters round the clock all fall long.

Posted from Kodiak, waiting on the weather to break so I can fly in for a week of chasing goats around with the bow.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll also second the fact that boaters get stuck way out of killing fields during low tide. I've scooped bucks up from guys on boats because being land locked allows me to sneak around at 25-50 feet elevated muskeg clearings or deer that travel the brushline just above high tide line.

And one more vote for the single burner propane lantern. I learned this week that i get about 4 hours longer from this light compared to this bullshittin gas sucker called the Northern Light. It burned bright for 7 hours on the lowest setting...4 hours on the highest.

Daniel_M

WKR
Arctic Oven fosho.

Cozy, portable. You can rent them from a fella in Eagle River, FYI.

a12a311dd69dc540b9be1f6736f8da39.jpg

10fcf891de9bf43d275a36f4f76b4728.jpg