Late Season Trail Camera Questions

Tag_Soup

WKR
I have recently started getting into hunting Colombia Blacktail in Southwest Washington. I have some public land bordered by private on all sides with a healthy population of deer using a natural corridor between two Alfalfa/CRP fields. I am hoping to focus on the late archery season. My question is based on deer behavior. I have a good buck on camera twice over the last three weeks. He has been moving quite quickly both times so I am not sure if he is a heavy 3x or a small 4 pt on his backs, but he is mature and has a large neck. Both times I have him on cam have been around 8:30 am on cold sunny mornings. Can I expect the deer to utilize the corridor regularly or is their behavior random? I would love to set up on the corridor but don't have a good pattern and may just be wasting my time if the deer are going to change patterns. Any info about blacktail rut timing, living area size, or travel patterns would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Travis

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
View attachment 42592

Here is a picture of the buck for those interested. I have a slightly better one, albeit a little blury as well, but that memory card went back in the cam without the picture being saved... :confused:

slvrslngr

WKR
Your picture doesn't work, you need to use a Photobucket or even better, Imgur account and post the BB code. Anyway, blacktails tend to have small home areas, many times it's only a square mile or less. While they don't do scrape lines like a whitetail, if you have a funnel, you'll likely catch a buck using it. You can also try calling/rattling as BT bucks can get pretty aggressive during the rut. The best times to hunt are first thing in the am, last thing in the pm and right after a rain/wind storm. Good luck, I'll be out there trying to get one as well!

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
slvrslngr, Thanks for the heads up. Let me know if this works better: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
I had considered rattling if I don't get any activity. I am hoping the bucks will still be on does until the end of november. If I don't close the deal by then I will likely try still hunting the draw the deer seem to be using to bed in, which is around 25 acres.

etacker13

FNG
Also from SW WA, live in Washougal, looks like a great buck rattling should draw him in hopefully, good luck out there this late season, I'll be out there as well. Give me a holler if you ever need a hunting partner or ever need help with a pack out of an animal!

OP
Tag_Soup

Tag_Soup

WKR
Thanks a bunch etacker! I lived in the lookout ridge area when I first moved over. Saw the biggest blacktail of my life up there on some private property feeding into lacamas creek...7x? With a big drop tine and mass for days. Too bad it wasn't an area people could ethically hunt.

As for the area, I have been thinking I will set up in the morning and rattle a little. If I don't turn the buck up in the first week or so, I will probably still hunt what I assume to be the bedding areas.